Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Focus Question...

Ron Ankeny

I have been practicing to maintain a target focus with my open blaster and it for darn sure is fast in a "regular" IPSC course of fire. I am wondering what type of focus works the best when shooting steel, like on a plate rack. We have an annual all steel match and the targets are generally pretty close together. So much so, you can usually see two targets ahead (or more) in the C'More. On something like a plate rack or a "steel garden" of poppers would a guy (or gal) be better off to literally "follow the bouncing dot" or should a person still maintain a target focus?

Not sure if this will help, but my absolute best night of plate shooting occurred when I consciously softened my focus so that I could see both the targets and the sights, but neither was sharply in focus. I could see most of the plate rack and just watched the sights bounce down the line like a little bouncy ball. I was unbeatable all night.

For an OPEN gun, I feel it's best to find the center of the next target (primary focus) as quickly as possible, and allow the dot to always remain in focus, peripherally.

For a Stock gun it's a little trickier. And as Duane mentioned, on closely spaced targets it often seems you can just look right at the front sight the entire time.

be

b,

I should have been clearer. I wasn't looking right at the front sight. I felt like my focal point was halfway between me and the targets. What I did was, when LAMRing, get the gun lined up on the first target, then consciously "soften" my eyesight until I could see both the sights and target in soft focus. Then I lowered the gun and just had to "hold" my eyes' focus there for a few seconds until the buzzer went off. Raised the gun to my eyes and voila! instant acquisition of both targets and sights. What can I say - it worked for me. I really should go back to shooting plates and see if I can actually do that again. :)