Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w New 686 38super 4inch

Leroy

Leroy,

Getting loading data for the new 38 super Revolver might be a little tricky. Using a lead 160 grain bullet I would start off close to 2.7 grains of a fast burning powder such as Bullseye or Solo 1000. I know the Professor uses a light bullet moving fast, but I don't know his loading data. I can't remember my loads on an experimental 38 super Revo I had but don't think I got over 3.3 grains. Our 38 supers shot real soft but you will have to be extremely careful. I :wacko: 'll see what info I can find out from the old guys.

Hey Bubber.

Thanks man.

I called S&W and they said to use a .359 jacketed bullet would shoot great in the gun so i am planning on trying jacketed bullets. i got some 130gr ones coming from monatana gold this week.

I assume that loads for a 1911 auto would not work in a revolver???

Leroy

Might try 4.3 V V N320, OAL 1.22, .355 125 gr Zero, WSP primer to start. Very accurrate @50.

Goes 1050fps or so in a comped auto. You may need to up the charge a couple of .10ths for a wheelgun.

When my 38 Super wheelgun is finished, I'll post the results.

Thanks

I just some new n320:)

S&W recommend a 356 bullet but i might try a 355 and see how it shoots.

i have tried 355 356 and 357 in my springfield 38s. i really can't tell much difference seems like the 355's shoot fine.

this is my first revolver and not sure if the loads in manuals are the same for a revolver as they are for an auto.

Leroy

ps..what kind of wheel gun are you building?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got bullets from montana gold .356 130 grain. and i am going to use

V-V-3n37 powder does any one think this will work.?

S&W told me to use .356 dia in this gun. i was supprised that the fmj bullets from montana gold had exposed lead backs...

it this normal.

Leroy