Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target focus on Type-3 transitions

spook

From another thread:

First the eyes, then the upper body, or what else?

What's the correct technique to index the next target?

Thanks,

Demetrio.

When indexing, the only thing that should move independently of your upper body is your eyeball itself.

In a perfect world... You call the shot as acceptable as it fires. Immediately your eye swivels in its socket in to find the next target. Once your eye finds the next target, from then on it doesn't physically move. But your focus does, as it moves back from the target toward the front sight. So you will be focused on the front sight by the time the sights land on the target. During that entire time, your complete upper body stayed in your index position. Only the eyes move. (Okay, your trigger finger moves too.) ;)

be

Do you think it is neccessary to have a totally sharp focus on the target before the sights arrive? I'm talking about Type-3 focus shooting.

I notice that, if I focus on the target, my focus will linger and it is hard to bring it back to the front sight by the time it arrives on the target. It then feels like there's too much going on. Or my focus shifting takes too much time. The gun moves faster than I can change focus.

I noticed that the advantage of the sharp target focus is that the sights will stop exactly where I want them to.

Thoughts?

You sound like a candidate for the dark side to ....Dot shooting .

you can train your eyes to pick up the pace. I know that the ability to "let go" of something with our eyes is not evaluated enough. Like if I am looking trough a tube sight = It takes longer for my eyes to come "out of" the scope than it does for my eyes to let go of a dot on a C-More.

A training trick that I use a bit is to look at a number =like the #3 in the thread title. and thin look away quick to a light switch ..or what ever. now think about that flash transition with your eyes. ?did you still have the "3" burnt on the lens of your eye during the transition? =That is what I call "The Letting Go" part. = It needs more study to break down how to see faster.

Jamie

I Am, just a bit strange though

Edited by AlamoShooter

you can train your eyes to pick up the pace. I know that the ability to "let go" of something with our eyes is not evaluated enough. Like if I am looking trough a tube sight = It takes longer for my eyes to come "out of" the scope than it does for my eyes to let go of a dot on a C-More.

The Letting Go" part. = It needs more study to break down how to see faster.

Jamie

Jamie--

Thanks for bringing that up. Now that you mention it, I recall reading about retraining eyes, but I'd forgotten. I'm inclined to take my vision (you know, just relax and see) for granted, unlike my hands, fingers, mind, etc., which need training. Of course it's the mind that sees....