Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Hellweg holster for Production

Behr

I'm looking to dabble in Production class this year so started going through some of my old equipment that might fit the need. I came across a couple of old Hellweg 220 series holsters, a paddle and a belt loop version. The tension screw is on the front of the holster instead of the back like most holsters. This Hellweg style does not cover the top of the slide so it will not meet the 1/2" below the ejection port rule.

In looking at the rule book I noticed that belt slide "Yaqui" type holsters are exempt from the 1/2" below ejection port rule. Does anyone know if these are considered "Yaqui" type holsters? To me they do but I thought I'd ask here before showing up at a match and learning otherwise.

A quick photo of the paddle version.

post-7024-1206501430.jpg

Yaqui's are open below the ejection port but are actually covered above the ejection port, I dont see how your holster would be considered suitable for everyday use or meet the Yaqui exception.

Ahh, now I see. The exemption is to allow the gun to stick below the covered ejection on the Yaqui. These certainly don't cover the ejection port. These are like reverse Yaqui slides. ^_^

Well now I have an excuse to look for a production holster.

As a side note though, I've carried guns in the Hellweg holsters, working and concealed carry, all day long for years.

Thanks

depends on the weight of the gun I guess, but alot of people take a loop of cord and stuff it in their pants or for that matter stuff the gun down their pants with no holster, Neither would meet the rule requirement for suitable for all day use. Your holsters are back in the day "Open" race style holsters.