Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti For Para Mag Tubes

Guest Larry Cazes

Guest Larry Cazes

Anybody have any experience good or bad with these Mag tubes? If so, which springs did you use? They would be used with DP extended bases.

the sti mag tubes for para work great, however there are some draw backs and pluses. The sti mag tubes are more expensive than the para replacement tubes and they hold less. The sti tubes are more tappered at the top than the factory para, there for they are easier to reload and lead to less fumbles when doing reloads. I use my sti mags with the dawson sti +1 basepads. If you use the +2 basepads, the mag exceeds the allowable length for limited division. With the +1 basepads, I am able to fit 18 rounds of 40 into the mag. With my para tubes and the sti para basepads, I am able to fit 22 into the mag. So if you shoot a para alot in competition, it is good to have both. I usually start the stage with the para mag in and if I have to do a reload, i use the sti, but if you fill it with 18, you will really have to slam it in there to get it to seat.

I personally think that the metal and craftsmenship in the sti tubes are better but they do have drawbacks. Also, you have to be carefull with the sti tubes and the dawson basepads that you don't slam the mag into the chamber at slide lock. If you do you can over extend the mag into the gun and bend the ejector, because even with the dawson mag well, the basepad is not flush with the mag well, it hangs out a little.

If you shoot ipsc and always do reloads with a round in the chamber, you do not have to worry about it.

As far as springs and follower, since the sti tube is tappered more at the top, you have to use the sti springs and followers. They work very well. Some people use infinity springs and followers, they will also work, but it is all preference. Depending on the gun, some will lock open with the sti's and some won't. Usually after the follower and the spring break in, the gun will stop locking open with the sti tubes.

Overall the best situation is to have a few of both. Each have their good and bad points. If you have anymore questions, pm me.

Icazes, Unfortunately the mag questions are spread out in the three different forums, Gear, Open Gun and Limited Gun. As far as setting the mags up there is no difference than setting up a STI mag. You can use the same springs and followers. SV red followers wolff springs or Grams spring pack and Dawson +1 pads you should get 20 rounds with no problem.

I'm using Para tubes and Dawson pads,,,,,I'm able to get 21+1 reliably and I've done no tuning on the pads. My Para mags are running great and they were cheaper than STI.

H4444

Hi,

For what my info is worth.......

I use my stock para high cap mags for starting a stage.I have Dawson plus two's on all my stock para mags,with those I can fit 20 rnds of 40.

I use my STI mags mainly for reloads on a stage or any time after my initial stock para mag runs out.

I am running STI followers and springs along with stock Para Ordinance base pads, with this I fit 18 rnds into the mags. as other people have stated for the fastest reloads I would suggest only loading 17 into the mags so seating isn't a prob,the base pad isn't the prob because the flat para pad doesn't even come close to the mag well,but the fact is, on some mags the 18th round is under some good pressure.

They are well worth the investment if your a serious shooter and want to soot a para.

The only thing I have ever noticed bad is they fit a little sloppy from frt to rear, and when shooting,especially week handed a strong grip is required as sometimes I have noticed the limp wrist

syndrome can cause a jamb/feeding prob......hope this info is of good use to you........Eric.

Putting the mag capacity aside and talking just about reliability, I used them for a while in my Para years ago and they worked great. They were more reliable than the Para mags, nothing but good things from me on them.

Kevin