Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Psycho

I'm surprised how this movie came and went without a lot of attention, considering all the attention the book (by Brent (Brett?) Easton Ellis) got years before it. I didn't read the book, but I was familiar with its criticism, so I didn't know what to expect. The book was reviled as misogynistic, repulsive, ultra-violent, etc. Maybe the accused misogynism is why the producers hired a woman to direct the movie.

Anyway, if the book is anything like the movie, the critics have their heads up their asses. It's a black comedy about the superficiality and consumerism of 1980s culture. There is indeed some violence, but it's so over-the-top it's comical. I mean, chasing a near-naked woman with a chain saw, c'mon!

The scenes where the protagonist talks about his musical tastes (Huey Lewis and the News) are hilarious.

I think it's the definitive 1980s movie Bonfire of the Vanities was supposed to be.

I loved American Psycho. Viewed from the right angle, this movie is an absolutely hilarious black comedy. And after watching it, I couldn't help but become a huge Christian Bale fan. Then I saw him in Shaft - a mediocre movie IHMO but Bale was GREAT in it. Just a few nights ago I watched Equilibrium. I had problems with some of the logic flaws in the plot, but overall I enjoyed it - and again, Christian Bale was great.

Oh yeah, the business card "equipment wars" ... What was it that pissed him off, the embossed lettering?

I forgot to mention this movie has one of the Women We Love, Reese Witherspoon. Unfortunately, her character is entirely unlikeable.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw and loved the movie. I have the movie poster hanging in my house.

I tried to read the book. Where the movie spends some time going into details about stuff like skin care - the books seems to endlessly go on about it until you catch yourself nodding off. I couldn't finish reading the book.

I still don't know what the hell the ending was about in the movie. :lol:

That's OK, not everything has to be tied up into a little not at the end. Unanswered questions and ambiquities can be fun.

I think the ending was just continuing on the themes of superficiality and triviality. While he finally comes to terms with his actions, the rest of the world can't take anything seriously. There's no accountability for serious matters because everybody is too involved in trivial matters. He would have gotten more attention if he had described his skin care regimen than confessing to multiple murders.