Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should IDPA get rid of the classifcation system?

Chills1994

How about shooting 3 or so matches and taking an average to classify for the 1st time. New shooter could be placed in a penelty class till an average is finalized. I have just started in IDPA and will shoot my 1st classifier next month. Either way I want to move up the ranks.

Ken

How about shooting 3 or so matches and taking an average to classify for the 1st time. New shooter could be placed in a penelty class till an average is finalized. I have just started in IDPA and will shoot my 1st classifier next month. Either way I want to move up the ranks.

Ken

Ken,

It ain't quite that simple. What if you shot three real easy matches with 8 stages each and your average time was 88 seconds. Or what if you shot three hard matches with 12 stages each and your time was 200 seconds. You can't just use the score from any ole match as a classifier score. There is no way to equate them.

After doing IDPA for 9 years, I really don't think there is too much of anything wrong with the IDPA classifier or the classification system. Except that most people hate stage 3. One match, 90 rounds, and you are classified. If you invite a certified SO or the MD to the range for a practice session, you can be reclassified in under an hour.

The new rule, at least new in 2005, that bumped a shooter if they beat enough people in the classification above theirs, has gone a long way in removing the sandbaggers from IDPA. I know, I know, they just change divisions and sandbag all over again. But it is catching up with most of them in their new divisions too.

kr

Edited by freeidaho

FreeIdaho / Ken Reed wrote:

....certified SO or the MD to the range for a practice session, you can be reclassified in under an hour.

I say even much less than that. Definitely under 15 minutes, especially if the shooter and the SO know what they are doing, have been through the classifier before, have extra mags loaded up and ready to go and ammo handy (like sitting on a barrel) while shooting stages 1 and 2.

Here at the local level, we are getting so many new shooters in that for USPSA and Steel matches, new shooters are going to have to pass a shooting skills proficiency test conducted by the MD or AMD before they are allowed to show up and enter a USPSA or a Steel match.

It is also, now, highly recommended that they shoot some steel matches first so us RO's / SO's can keep a close eye on their gun handling before they shoot a USPSA match.

Getting more back on topic here:

Comparing one major match to another major match is apples to oranges. I know for a fact that having stages with lots of moving targets in them drastically changes every competitors final times/scores.

That whole one round a second for the Master class shooters goes out the window when you have lots of swingers, drop turners, bear traps, etc.

Edited by Chills1994

Keep the classifer system as is. if and only if you do not get moved up a class because you won in a major match.

You shoot a great match and the others shot poorly and you get moved up. That's BS.