Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornadyy Lock 'n Load eject problems with the 9mm - a fix!

Adjusting the angle of the wire makes the biggest difference with the 9mm. Open up the loop at the end that goes under the bolt. Just enough so the wire almost touches the case in the final stage.

Edited by lugnut

Adjusting the angle of the wire makes the biggest difference with the 9mm. Open up the loop at the end that goes under the bolt. Just enough so the wire almost touches the case in the final stage.

Sorry but I disagree. Bending the wire is very much of a hit or miss proposition having done in many times every which way - improvement was inconsistent. And if repeated too often can over stress the wire (no big deal though just ask Hornady to send you another). Polishing it seems takes care of the problem once and for all, no altering of parts, no bending, no slicing, no diceing.

Edited by kraigster414

Sorry but I disagree. Bending the wire is very much of a hit or miss proposition having done in many times every which way - improvement was inconsistent. And if repeated too often can over stress the wire (no big deal though just ask Hornady to send you another). Polishing it seems takes care of the problem once and for all, no altering of parts, no bending, no slicing, no diceing.

To each their own. However... I got this bit of advice directly from Hornady. A couple other LNL users as well as myself found this to be the most helpful. The wire is cheap and Hornady has sent me some free as you mentioned. It is actually easy to adjust properly.

This response is not meant to contradict what you suggest but to offer other users alternatives.

I think what you stated is good info and it (bending the wire) was discussed in the lilnk. In my case, it didn't work (not all the time anyway) and I discussed with the good folks at Hornady. They sent me more wires and after more bending and twisting the results were again spotty. And then there was the issue of having to install and uninstall the wire when changing calibers (because the tweaked wire may not work with other calibers) vs. just changing the shell plate. Polishing is really very easy to do but if bending works for you, that's fine. Definitely yes to alternatives. Thanks.

Another "trick" is to "open up" the ejection side of the shell plate with a Dremel a bit, especially if you have older plates. Mine is and has the small radius. The new ones come with a more open, rounded profile on the ejection side. Polish the plate and wire and it will make a big difference. I eliminated ALL ejection issues with 9mm on my LNL AP with a tad of Dremel work on one station of my plate and polishing them all up. Don't forget to do the wire also.

A gent on the m1911.org forums has redesigned the wire shape and says it's working perfectly for him. Check THIS thread. He's even working with Hornady on it.

Cutting the plate is mentioned in the thread as well. IMHO that is rather evasive surgery. I had a pal do that for me (he had success) but in my case, it created new problems - cases falling out of the shell holders before they got to the final stage. Before you take a knife to your shellplate, I seriously recommend you polish or try bending the wire as explained above. As I said, just polishing the s hell plate shell holders and the wire cured the problem for me.