Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automatic Primer System on RL550

I know the topic has been discussed before but i didn't find the answer I was looking for. I bought a used RL 550 and the Automatic Primer System is not working. I am not sure how the system works. The Primer slide (13920) moves into the primer housing and shield (20263) this in turn pushes out the primer feed stop pin (14051) which causes the magazine to release a primer into the primer cup (13825) is this correct? Well on my machine when the the Primer slide (13920) moves into the primer housing and shield (20263) it looks like there is large gap between the primer cup(13825) and the magazine. The Primer slide (13920) does make contact with primer feed stop pin (14051) and pushes it out but the primer does not fall. I checked the primer feed stop spring (13979) and its tight. In addition, I checked the measurement on the primer cup (13825) and its a bit bigger than spec Dillon calls for (1.215-1.220) mine it at 1.225. I also checked that the primer magazine was inserted correctly I know the tab is supposed seat inside key which, it is. Not sure where to go from here and some help would be much appreciated.

I know the topic has been discussed before but i didn't find the answer I was looking for. I bought a used RL 550 and the Automatic Primer System is not working. I am not sure how the system works. The Primer slide (13920) moves into the primer housing and shield (20263) this in turn pushes out the primer feed stop pin (14051) which causes the magazine to release a primer into the primer cup (13825) is this correct? Well on my machine when the the Primer slide (13920) moves into the primer housing and shield (20263) it looks like there is large gap between the primer cup(13825) and the magazine. The Primer slide (13920) does make contact with primer feed stop pin (14051) and pushes it out but the primer does not fall. I checked the primer feed stop spring (13979) and its tight. In addition, I checked the measurement on the primer cup (13825) and its a bit bigger than spec Dillon calls for (1.215-1.220) mine it at 1.225. I also checked that the primer magazine was inserted correctly I know the tab is supposed seat inside key which, it is. Not sure where to go from here and some help would be much appreciated.

My first advice is to call Dillon!

It seems you understand how the thing works. A question: will primers free fall through the magazine tube if the tube is not in the machine? Take the tube out of the machine and add a few primers and the follower rod. If the primers free fall out of the magazine, that part is fine. If not, then the plastic orifice on the bottom of the mag tube may be damaged.

You already know about the key on the mag orifice so put the tube back in and add a couple primers and the follower rod. Manually push back the primer stop pin back somehow and see if they still free fall. IF they don't, you have a mystery on your hands! IF they do, then it is just a matter of getting the primer cup to stop directly under the magazine tube by adjusting 14037. Let us know what you find.

Did I mention to call Dillon?

Later,

Chuck

Edit: Oh yeah: Welcome to the forum!

Edited by ChuckS

Are the primers supposed to land on the primer feed stop pin (14051)? The primers are free falling out of the magazine when i take out of the machine. When the magazine is in the machine i can see the tip of the magazine and the primer. When i pushed down on the primer feed stop pin (14051) nothing happens. If someone could explain how the system? What i can't comprehend is how the primer falls into the cup. Does the primer feed stop pin(14051) cause the primer to fall?

When the primer slide bar comes all the way back, the primer cup pushes the pin back. This releases one primer into the cup. As long as the height of the primer cup is correct and the primer feed tube end is all the way down. Try looking into the front as you push the bar back by hand after you remove the actuator rod out of the wheel.Don't pull the handle just pull the primer bar by hand. You should see the primer pin push the leaf spring away from the back of the primer assy. Hope that helps. If not.....call Dillon.

The colored plastic tip should protrude far enough down that the tip almost touches the top of the white plastic pin. There is a ridge on the plastic tip that needs to go into an aligning groove. When properly aligned, the plastic tip drops down further. Your understanding of how the primer feed works is correct. The primer cup pushes the white pin out of the way, and allows a primer to drop into the cup. :ph34r: