Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Breathe b4 the Beep?

lrjet

I have been having problems with this (and a lot more). I have noticed that I tend to hold my breath for a longer period of time when I'm trying to "Go Fast". Now, I know this is a mistake, but I still have problems with it. It is a work in progress.

I just try to keep breathing naturally so that while I am shooting I will not subconciously hold my breath. I have found that by doing this in dryfire, practice and in a match my body naturally does it and I tend not to get too tense before the beep.

The huge majority of individuals when asked to "Breath deep" will respond by pulling in their stomach; tightening their abs; lifting their diaphram; and, swelling their chest. Think of a soldier responding to the command to come to attention. Unfortunately this does the exact opposite of producing the desired results of oxygen enhancement and relaxation. The lungs are pyramids in which 2/3's of the volumn is in the lower portion. By pulling up the diaphram and tightening the abs it vastly reduces the volumn of air (O2) which can be brought into the lungs. Worse, the only way that air can be brought in is to literally pull the ribs apart to increase intercostal space and produces tension in the upper chest muscles.

OK, so how can you "Breath deep" differently? By letting your abs relax and letting your diaphram drop...the exact opposite of what "seems natural." ( This technique is actually called diaphramatic breathing and is used extensively in pain management and relaxation training.) This allows the full and efficient use of the entire pyramid of your lungs. It also produces no tension in the chest muscles. More O2 (way more!) and relaxation: Who could wish for more? How do you know if you are doing it "right?" Simply fold your hands over your stomach and "breath deep." If your hands go in...wrong. If your hands go out...right. It sounds so simple but there is a great deal of previous conditioning to overcome.

To enhance the relaxation aspect you can also condition a relaxation response cue. Take in a full diaphramatic breath and allow approximately 1/3 to exhale. As this is being done say your cue to yourself. It acquires (by conditioning) the ability to produce the relaxation by simply saying the word. Don't choose the word "relax," instead choose a word that is meaningful to you...such as "focus," "smooth," "warm," or whatever.

All of this is done prior to the buzzer. Time it so that the exhalation of 1/3 of your breath occurs at the buzzer or close as possible. Remember that when the buzzer goes off there will be a momentary orientation response including the holding of the breath and a general tightening of the core muscles. That will happen. Accept it...but then let it go as quickly as possible.

This is helpful for people who are having problems and is a mainstay in sports psychology. But if you don't have a problem...just breath (you have been doing for quite a while) and don't create one.

A-G

• 4 months later...

Quote "( This technique is actually called diaphragmatic breathing and is used extensively in pain management and relaxation training.) This allows the full and efficient use of the entire pyramid of your lungs. "

Ok this'll sound a little snotty. Sorry. It is actually called Ujjayi breath. A beginning breath form. It is part of Pranayama practice which is Yogic breathing. The techniques are some 3000 years old.... or so and have been worked out in detail by some extraordinarily SMART people. They are part of the limbs of Yoga. These practices are the root of every martial art. There is no modern excersise system that has not been on ground explored by one or another lineage of Yogi Or Yogini. Pranayama has remarkable potential application to shooting. It is an extremely effective adjunct to bringing stillness to agitated minds. No one from the AMA invented it. By copying it, renaming it and getting it a treatment code, they figured out how to get an insurance company to pay for it. Sadly the real substance of the technique was effectively lost in the 'conversion'. Bummer Dude!