Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading for Steel Challenge?

cooper_999

Hi,

I´ve just signed up for my first Steel Challenge match. Now I'm thinking about, which load I should use... :blink:

I've signed up for Standard Revolver and Open Revolver. For Standard, I'll use my 6" 586 and for Open, I'll take my 627 (3 Port holes and one small comp in the original barrel). Cases, I have std. 38spl, shortened .38spl (~like Long Colt) and I've .38Short Colts as well. Whats recommended? Copper plated bullets are lying around in 125grs RN and 158grs. Powders, I have N320, N340, N350 or TiteGroup.

Any help is appreciated!

thanks,

Sascha

I shoot a Zero coper bullet 95 .365 hbsp with tight group have been throgh 30+ bl of TG

I shoot a 686+ and a 627 comped I use 6.0-6.4 of TG with the 95 gr and long colt brass by Star-line

My wife shoots the 686+ with just side cuts in the barrel and 6.0 to TG

We both like for the gun to shoot a bit hot = I think it helps to push the gun to the next target.

I did not like the short colt I felt like I gave up too much accuracy at 35 yards.

The Steel Challenge has a lower power factor than USPSA's 125 but I have found a good load for both so I can shoot the same load year round. I am unsure of the other writers accuracy troubles at 35 yads but an 18X24 plate is the only target at that distance in a Steel Challenge.

I shot PPC for years with a 148 gr HBWC at 700 fps and loved the lack of recoil was wonderful but anytime I shoot less than 1100 fps I cannot hear the Steel "ring" and it throws off my cadence. Accuracy is the front sight and trigger control, not speed.

I like the .38 Colt Short and have perfected a load in 1996 that many people are still shooting today, none that I know with accuracy troubles. Here is that load data: 130 gr Montana Gold RN .356 Bullet, Starline .38 Colt Short brass, Federal 100 primer (ONLY!!!!) 4.2 gr Hodgdon Universal Clays, at 1.100"OAL and a "tight crimp" (.0002, yes, it marks the bullet) This is 1140 fps from a S&W 627-8 Shot .357 with a 5" barrel that has seen 60K of these slide down it and still shoots well.

Have fun and shoot often!

Herr Sahlberg

Wiefeil uhr ist es?

Thanks Alamoshooter, thanks Bill for your Input!

I like the .38 Colt Short and have perfected a load in 1996 that many people are still shooting today, none that I know with accuracy troubles. Here is that load data: 130 gr Montana Gold RN .356 Bullet, Starline .38 Colt Short brass, Federal 100 primer (ONLY!!!!) 4.2 gr Hodgdon Universal Clays, at 1.100"OAL and a "tight crimp" (.0002, yes, it marks the bullet) This is 1140 fps from a S&W 627-8 Shot .357 with a 5" barrel that has seen 60K of these slide down it and still shoots well.

I like the .38SC, too! The Montana Bullet - is it a plated or jacketed or lead? I´ll try to replace it with my .357 125grs H&N HS RN. Hope it works also. OK, and then, lets go and buy Universal... ;)

Have fun and shoot often!

Herr Sahlberg

Wiefeil uhr ist es?

I´ll do my best! And now, Herr Sahlberg, it´s a quarter to twelve p.m. local time here! :cheers:

Best,

Sascha