Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In section 4 I see:

A qualified license shall be issued for hunting and target practice.

I intend to get a carry permit, but I do find this curious especially since I'm sure there'll be a few months between the time I get there and the time I'd have a permit in hand.

Thanks!

-rvb

Lived here all my life and have never had any kind of permit to target shoot or "play around" in the back yard or at my Grandparents farm. Not saying it is not required, however if your neighbor's aren't to close and your shooting into a berm or farm field I don't think you would have any problems with the cops.

my $.02

Adam

Do you have a permit from the state in which your currently reside? If so Indiana will recognize that permit.

You need to have a permit to transport the firearm legally.

Getting caught going to a range with a gun locked in the trunk would be difficult in this state, but not impossible I suppose. You would be fine on your own property shooting.

Getting caught going to a range with a gun locked in the trunk would be difficult in this state, but not impossible I suppose. You would be fine on your own property shooting.

Wouldn't traveling from home to the range qualify (unloaded and secured) qualify as transport to a business PER IC 35-47-2-2. I guess I have just never heard of the need for a permit to transport weapons unloaded and secure, between locations in Indiana. Am I wrong or missing something?

Wouldn't traveling from home to the range qualify (unloaded and secured) qualify as transport to a business PER IC 35-47-2-2. I guess I have just never heard of the need for a permit to transport weapons unloaded and secure, between locations in Indiana. Am I wrong or missing something?

I have never heard of it either, but never really checked into to be honest since I have a carry permit.

So I called the Indiana State Police Office to confirm this, and yes you have to have a permit to legally transport a firearm to and from a public or private shooting range. You can legally have a firearm on your property without a permit. There are two types of permits, the target permit that allows you to transport firearms to and from shooting facilities and the carry permit, which lets you carry on your person.

You can apply for a lifetime permit now, it is $125.

Learned something new....wonder how many people break this law not knowing?

Edited by fortyfiveshooter

I have never heard of it either, but never really checked into to be honest since I have a carry permit.

So I called the Indiana State Police Office to confirm this, and yes you have to have a permit to legally transport a firearm to and from a public or private shooting range. You can legally have a firearm on your property without a permit. There are two types of permits, the target permit that allows you to transport firearms to and from shooting facilities and the carry permit, which lets you carry on your person.

I would suspect a lot of people. I have lived here my whole life and never realized that.

Thanks for making the call to State! - Adam

Wow, Jake. Thanks!

Gotta love this forum.

The way the law is worded sounds to me like you just need "a" permit to transport, so if one has a CCW permit to carry on your person, than you wouldn't ALSO need a "target" permit to transport in the trunk, right?

I haven't looked into all the permit laws and reciprocity agreements yet, but I suppose my non-resident FL permit would be valid (both for ccw and for transporting firearms to the range/matches) while I'm going through the process of getting the lifetime IN ccw permit?

Thanks again! I appreciate your taking the effort to find out the details from the right people!

-rvb

You probably would not know if you are an otherwise law abiding citizen. If you have a gun locked in the trunk of the car how would an honest law enforcement officer come across it? If you gave him permission to search you vehicle. Why would he/she? Why would you consent to any search? What would the probable cause be to search your vehicle without your permission? This is the reality of the situation. If you are legal in all other ways and the gun is out of sight in the trunk you are pretty safe. Start letting your drivers license expire, no proof of insurance, expired plates and stuff like this and get the car towed and the vehicle inventory is likely to bite you in a big way on the gun in the trunk and no permit.

We are lucky in Indiana in that our state recognizes a permit from anywhere in the country.

Last spring I was a part of a small group that sat down for an hour or so with a lawyer, and he talked Indiana gun laws with us and everyone learned a lot. It is well worth the time and the expense for everyone to do this. It could really save you some trouble, and if you ever find yourself talking with a LEO then you already kow what can and should occur. I highly recommend it.

The judge will not care that you were ignorant of the law. Which is ironic in a way because the lawyers present in the case will have spent hours consulting and studying the code to reach the decision that you and or I are expected to know by heart already.

You probably would not know if you are an otherwise law abiding citizen. If you have a gun locked in the trunk of the car how would an honest law enforcement officer come across it? If you gave him permission to search you vehicle. Why would he/she? Why would you consent to any search? What would the probable cause be to search your vehicle without your permission? This is the reality of the situation. If you are legal in all other ways and the gun is out of sight in the trunk you are pretty safe. Start letting your drivers license expire, no proof of insurance, expired plates and stuff like this and get the car towed and the vehicle inventory is likely to bite you in a big way on the gun in the trunk and no permit.

We are lucky in Indiana in that our state recognizes a permit from anywhere in the country.

Last spring I was a part of a small group that sat down for an hour or so with a lawyer, and he talked Indiana gun laws with us and everyone learned a lot. It is well worth the time and the expense for everyone to do this. It could really save you some trouble, and if you ever find yourself talking with a LEO then you already kow what can and should occur. I highly recommend it.

The judge will not care that you were ignorant of the law. Which is ironic in a way because the lawyers present in the case will have spent hours consulting and studying the code to reach the decision that you and or I are expected to know by heart already.

The concern isn't that I would offer a search of the vehicle or that I don't keep everything else tidy in life, but ... "what if." Sometimes 'shit happens' in life. So let's say somehow I forget to renew my driver's license or due to extensive, sudden work travel don't get to the dmv before it expires and I roll two mph thru a stop sign, now a minor traffic violation leads to "probable cause" and I'm worried about loosing my rights to own guns over not coming to a full and complete stop. I would say THAT is "the reality of the situation" as you put it.

And you are VERY right about how complex all of this shit is at both state and national level that we are expected to know. That's the first sign that something is wrong with this country when the average person can't quickly read and understand the laws. This is why I'm researching all of this before coming out as I know ignorance is not a legal defense where a prosecutor can have weeks to figure out a way I did something wrong.

So what if family/friends from out of state are visiting and bring guns.. and they don't have an OH ccw permit? They aren't "moving" as listed in exception? Does federal transportation law trump that? Are they breaking the law? Maybe I found the one "gotcha" that keeps IN from being PERFECT?! :devil:

Thanks!

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I haven't looked into all the permit laws and reciprocity agreements yet, but I suppose my non-resident FL permit would be valid (both for ccw and for transporting firearms to the range/matches) while I'm going through the process of getting the lifetime IN ccw permit?

IC 35-47-2-21

Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states

Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.

(B) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Answered my own question.... A: not once I become an IN resident.

So... if/when I move out, there is up to a 60-day window while my permit is being processed (plus however long it takes me to get to the PD to file the app) that -legally- I can not go shoot other than on my own property.

Interesting.

Guess what will be first on the list of things to do after moving.....

-rvb

IC 35-47-2-21

Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states

Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.

(B) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Answered my own question.... A: not once I become an IN resident.

So... if/when I move out, there is up to a 60-day window while my permit is being processed (plus however long it takes me to get to the PD to file the app) that -legally- I can not go shoot other than on my own property.

Interesting.

Guess what will be first on the list of things to do after moving.....

-rvb

This led to a thought I had earlier but dropped. Hunting - When I have gone hunting in the past I have never had or heard of the need to have a license to transport the arms. I did have a license to hunt, however. So does that license allow one to transport the arms?

I reread IC 35-47-2-2 from your first post and I am not a lawyer, but that still reads to me you can carry unloaded and secured between your dwelling's and fixed place's of business. All of the range's I have shot at in Indiana are Fixed Business's. So how is a target permit required to travel to them. Furthermore reading IC 35-47-2-1 - you can carry in your dwelling, on your property, or a fixed business without license.

Now I am more interested and I have to go and find ALL of the law to read.

Transporting a rifle or shotgun is different from a handgun. No permit is required for rifles or shotguns. Different ball of wax. There maybe some municipal laws that address long guns though. Not sure about local ordinances.

Transporting a rifle or shotgun is different from a handgun. No permit is required for rifles or shotguns. Different ball of wax. There maybe some municipal laws that address long guns though. Not sure about local ordinances.

Ya - Sorry for any confusion I imparted on this thread. I read the whole statue and it just really surprised me. I read "moving" in the last stanza of the exception as transport not relocation as is apparently the intended meaning of the word.

I just wonder how much this gets broken every day and I am just glad I have my lifetime permit!

• 2 weeks later...

It's official.... I'll be a Hoosier by June!

Thanks, everyone, for all the info and I look forward to meeting you all on the range.

Now I have a month of pure stress ahead of me.... house selling, house buying, new job, new city. gheesh. :surprise:

-rvb

congrats!!!

Finding a house here shouldn't be too hard,

There are lots of builders out there sitting on homes.

We have been considering a larger home and were looking around

on there are deals everywhere, Ryland homes was taking $20k off the price, plus paying closing cost

Several are offering free basements....

Plus there are alot of newer preown homes that are for sale in these same neighborhoods that are not completly built up in

at least around here in Indianapolis.

• 2 months later...

Hi, all!

Well, I've made it. Next Friday I hope to get to the BMV and make my residency in IN official. We've been here almost a month and we're slowly getting settled in.

I hope to get to a couple matches in July in the Ft Wayne area to check things out. I haven't dryfired in almost 10 weeks or pulled a trigger in about 8. It's nice being closer to family, but they want to do stuff... don't they understand what the lack of trigger time will do to a man?!? I have my production gear in town so I hope to start dryfiring again this week. This weekend I'll be moving the rest of my guns to town (except the NFA stuff, waiting on "approval" :angry: ). Anyone want to help me get my Fort Knox into the basement?! :roflol:

See ya on the range!

-rvb