Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA#7 and 145's

98sr20ve

I was thinking that the 147 gr lead bullets would be my nice soft shooting load out of my G34. Boy was I wrong. My recipe was 6.7 grs of AA#7, OAL of 1.115 (bullet is Flat point with a round shoulder). Had a much stronger push rather then the snap of my 115 gr Rainers with 4.1 gr tightgroup but still way more power then I expected for a starting load. I guess I need to load them lighter so I can be a true "gamer" IDPA/USPSA guy again. Any thoughts? Maybe some tightgroup behind the 147's. I picked AA#7 because it fills the case nicely. My tightgroup/115gr loads barely cycle my stock gun. I want that with my AA#7 but I am barely above starting load and nervous about going below starting loads. I can also try loading longer. Any thoughts or should I just switch back to TG and have a nearly empty case.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Greeting 98sr20ve!

I edited part of your Q:

147 gr lead bullets . . Any thoughts? Maybe some tightgroup . . .AA#7 because it fills the case nicely . . . nervous about going below starting loads. I can also try loading longer. . . .

The lead 147s will give you a low recoil, accurate load - BUT, Titegroup is not the powder you want becuase its know to burn very hot which produces LOTS of smoke.

What powder should you use for low recoil 147s? A: something FAST burning, but compatible with lead. What are your choices?

-Lyman's manual actually publishes a LEAD only load with straight Clays. Load LONG -1.150"

-N320 will be safe at minor, and its even possible to use the faster still V V N310 (the ultimate gamer load) though you should load LONG (1.150") if you choose N310 and also use a Lee "U" die from EGW. V V is expensive and hard to find though.

-My favorite these days is Solo 1000 and its inexpensive and sold at most Trap & Skeet clubs.

-One known performer with heavy lead bullets in .355-.357" dia. is Win 231/Hodgdon HP-38. Kinda dirty, but it works

-While I find the stuff dirty, even the old stand-by Bullseye will work.

Don't worry about "case filling" ; just buy the Dillon powder check die system.

Regards,

C.

Regards,

C.

I have a 550 so I don't have room for a powder check die if I seat and crimp separately which I like. I can always use the AA#7 for my 357. I just thouoght I heard people recommending AA#7 to me. Maybe I am loosing my mind.

Try Hodgedon Clays, International Clays, VVN310 and N320. Those are all fast powders, with Clays and N310 being the fastest. Also the highest pressure, so be cautious.

VV powders meter better and give smaller extreme spreads than the Hodgedon versions, but are more spendy.

Another vote for Solo 1000. Start at 3.2 to 3.3 grains and work up. Very little smoke with lead or moly compared to Titegroup. Solo is a single base disk so it burns clean and has decent case fill. I like AA#7 for hot-rodded range ammo with jacketed bullets but it's way too slow for a soft "minor" load.

Regards,

C.

I have a 550 so I don't have room for a powder check die if I seat and crimp separately which I like. I can always use the AA#7 for my 357. I just thouoght I heard people recommending AA#7 to me. Maybe I am loosing my mind.

Years ago I shot tons of AA#7 with 143-147gr hard cast bullets in .38 Super (poor college student) at the old power factor. That's definitely not what you want for a minor load....too much powder and it's too slow. The volume increases the jet effect out the end of the tube (which is why it works a comp well) and the slower powder causes a longer recoil impulse which increases the felt recoil.

I recall using Winchester Super Light and 231 with 125gr bullets for steel loads and they worked great...right about 5gr worked nicely. My ancient load book shows 5.3gr of W231 with a 125gr hard cast bullet at 1150fps.