Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fine Motor Skilled V. Gross Motor Skilled

ToddS

I was just reading through some old posts and I saw where BE referenced that he was fine motor skilled and TGO was gross motor skilled. I know we all have both, but are we prone to use more of one than the other?

I have always been taught to use gross motor skills as much as possible when doing anything under stress.

In law enforcement, we teach that when the heart rate exceeds an average of 115 bpm and you get an adrenal dump, fine motor skills deteriorate rapidly.

Therefore, we try and use skeletal muscles and frame support all we can when under stress.

I'm interested in knowing what other knowledge or theories are out there. I'm sure it's covered somewhere else in the forum, but I don't know how to find it.

Someone help me out or direct me to the old topic where I can read it.

Even the minor stress of competition shooting can cause us to regress. When I first started shooting I practiced and practiced using the Weaver stance, but when I shot in competitions I found myself automatically using the Iso. For me, remembering to angle my body to he proper stance was even too much of a remember in competition. So I started practicing using the iso. I also have a fiber optic front sight so I can fool myself into thinking I use my front sight.

I do believe that what most people consider fine motor skills which require concious thought can be developed into instinct and reflex through practice. Most people outside the competition level are not willing to put in the time to develop abilities to the point they become reflex. Two good examples would be the skills needed for trigger manipulation or the ablity to see an opening and strike for a karate competitor.

For a comprehensive discussion on how inherent motor skills relate to inherent Temperament, get Jonathan Neidnagel's "How to choose your best sport and play it."

According to Temperament theory, two of the four basic groups don't have any specialized physical motor skills at all!

I think when I was discussing The Great One's and my motor skills, I was referring to how our finger moves when we pull the trigger. I "ride" the trigger, moving my finger just enough to reset it each time. When releasing the trigger, The Great One, however, on most shots, moves his finger completely off the trigger so it hits the front of the trigger guard. Does any of this matter? I don't really think so. He's on record of shooting a 1.3something Bill Drill, and I remember shooting a 1.43 quite a few years ago. So all that "extra" movement doesn't seem to matter. What matters is that you pull the trigger STRAIGHT to the rear, and while doing so do not jerk or move your hand(s) at all.

be