Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 cal. 180/200 gr. N310 loads

bomadera

I've loaded N310 with 180 and 155's when I was working up my 40 IDPA loads. I didn't find it as well as several other choices. N310 or N320 burn very cleanly. Accurate 2 with Fed 200 primers gives me the best SD for 40 minor. Plus it's low muzzle flash for low light/night shooting.

N310 is faster than Bullseye on the burn rate charts so any bullet setback must be avoided.

Keith

link

180 with N310 for Major is supposed to be a very soft load. I've seen it mentioned

many times including on Leatham's site for his Limited load but I think you would

have to be very carefull with setback or overcharging (boom). Too close for me!

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Has anybody got any expierience with N310 powder and 180/200 gr. bullets? Was told this last weekend by a GM that it's far better than N320.

Hi Bomadera,

You did not give us much info, like: gun, OAL, bullet, Division, etc.

Are you talking about MINOR (for Production Division) ?? Then, yes, N-310 is a good choice. With 200s, you only need to exceed 625 FPS. You could even use (for MINOR) some Clays in .40.

If you are talking about Major, - then, STOP!

-Unless you are a very experienced handgun cartridge reloader with a firm understanding of set-back (and how to prevent it) then forget about N310 and stick with N320. You really MUST load long for N310 and you can only do that with a STI/SV or Tanfoglio that can take 1.200" or LONGER. Load N310 short and you WILL blow up your gun.

Yes, that combo has been used by some of our top shooters, but its not a forgiving load at all and its not suitable for most reloaders. Approach with extreme caution. Or, better yet, stick with N320 since its nearly as good for competition.

I use the 180/310 combo and it makes a really soft shooting major limited load. However, I did end up switching to a U-die as setback was an issue even with a FL or standard Lee die. As said before, if you can't load to at least 1.200" OAL, trying to make major with 310 can get really hairy.

Yikes.

bomadera,

What you are asking about is only for very experienced re-loaders...with a long history of loading for the 40. Even then...it's not that great of an idea.

40 is already a pretty high pressure round. Many here will go beyond book loads when their experience is there to guide them. Even then, it is a risk. You are asking about a load that many here won't run. Not enough reward for the risk.

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific, I'm shooting a Brazos STI .40 cal, which I normally load 1.220 with 180 Zero. I like N320, but I thought I'd try some N310. Also, with the unavailability of Zero's, I have been shooting lead. It sounds like this is a bad combo. This is precisely why I posted, I know I can depend on you guys.

You aren't shooting lead too, are you ?

I've loaded N310 with 180 and 155's when I was working up my 40 IDPA loads. I didn't find it as well as several other choices. N310 or N320 burn very cleanly. Accurate 2 with Fed 200 primers gives me the best SD for 40 minor. Plus it's low muzzle flash for low light/night shooting.

N310 is faster than Bullseye on the burn rate charts so any bullet setback must be avoided.

Keith

What is SD ?

al