Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kydex and You

murkish

I use an M1 Garand for 3-gun and as you might guess finding modern accessories is near impossible. I am thinking of buying a 24" x 24" sheet of kydex and trying my hand at making my own clip pouches. Has anyone attemped something like this?

I plan on mocking it up out of leather to get the pattern worked out and then using a hair dryer to bend the kydex around an en-bloc clip rapped in tape.

I've been making my own stuff, holster, mag pouches, etc. for a couple of years now. Kifekits.com has all the supplys, plus an instructional DVD.

It's a good place to get small amounts of kydex to try it out.

I have also gotten sheet kydex from interstate plastics.

They sell a press, but you can make one relatively easily. I use a camping pad that goes under sleeping bags in my press.

I'ts fairly easy to make something that works, but does take some time, is "messy", and is not as easy to get a nice, finished product like some of the commerical makers put out.

I actually have a Garand myself, and en bloc holders were one of my many projects I was thinking about trying.

I've got some molding to do, and I'll try to make one while I'm doing my other projects.

If I get something made, I'll show you what I come up with.

I also remeber that David Elderton of KYTAC was playing around with making an en bloc holder several years ago. You might drop him a line, and see if he has anything.

Joel

I made mag pouches for some subgun mags. I had tried with some success using standard pistol pouches. See below where the rear mag is escaping.

DSC02162.jpg

I was working out of town at the time, staying in a hotel. I tried using the hotel hair drier, but the low-watt thing would auto-shutoff as the kydex was just getting hot enough. I had a small coleman camp stove with me as well, so I sat out on my balcony, wearing a pair of leather gloves, and cooking kydex. You want to keep the heat fairly low, as once it gets to temperature, it gets floppy really quick.

I just used a paper template. Leather would work, but paper is cheap.

I ended up making two sizes, one for .45 mags, and one for 9mm. They're deep enough that I often use one of the .45 holders with 9mm mags. It's a little loose, but I haven't lost a mag out of it. I usually position that so it's the first mag I grab off the belt.

The final product isn't pretty and it's not adjustable, but it works very well. They're tall enough that the long mags don't fall out.

DSC03044cropped.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this is the wrong thread in which to ask this question, but what are the success rates in working with already-molded kydex? I've got a Blade-Tech IWB holster for my USP that doesn't quite fit right. It's a little tight on the slide release lever, and causes serious drag on the draw (and kydex shavings all over my pistol). I've been considering fixing it myself, as I already sent it in once and it only got sorta corrected. Option two (and I'm leaning this way, except for being broke) is trying a Comp-Tac IWB with velcro and also picking up a gun belt (double layer leather) with sewn-in velcro lining. (I like this way since my crappy Levi's belt just can't hold my mag pouch without flopping over and ruining concealment.)

Should I attempt to fix the holster myself?

If I do so, what do I need? My wife's hair drier died last week, we have no heat guns/etc. and the toaster's a piece of crap. I've heard of applying boiling water---does that work? How do you go about it? Once I have the kydex warm (hopefully just in a local spot around the trouble area?), should I mold it with fingers? Tounge depressor, pencil, the gun itself?

Thanks guys!

-- John.

Perhaps this is the wrong thread in which to ask this question, but what are the success rates in working with already-molded kydex? I've got a Blade-Tech IWB holster for my USP that doesn't quite fit right. It's a little tight on the slide release lever, and causes serious drag on the draw (and kydex shavings all over my pistol). I've been considering fixing it myself, as I already sent it in once and it only got sorta corrected. Option two (and I'm leaning this way, except for being broke) is trying a Comp-Tac IWB with velcro and also picking up a gun belt (double layer leather) with sewn-in velcro lining. (I like this way since my crappy Levi's belt just can't hold my mag pouch without flopping over and ruining concealment.)

Should I attempt to fix the holster myself?

If I do so, what do I need? My wife's hair drier died last week, we have no heat guns/etc. and the toaster's a piece of crap. I've heard of applying boiling water---does that work? How do you go about it? Once I have the kydex warm (hopefully just in a local spot around the trouble area?), should I mold it with fingers? Tounge depressor, pencil, the gun itself?

Thanks guys!

-- John.

John,

I've modified a couple of uncle mikes, and a blade tech. Hair driers might work, it seems I did use them long ago. Heat guns can be had for as little as $10, and would be worth the investment.

Be careful not to over heat it, as it can melt. Heat some, and try to mold, if it doesn't work, heat it some more.

As towards what to use to mold it, it depends on what needs modified. The unkle mikes holsters have a detent in the trigger guard, which makes them only retain by that area. I heat that area, and use a combination of the gard, and a flat object (tongue depressor, piece of wood, etc.).

Make sure you're wearing some gloves as the Kydex can get a bit warm.

Go slow, and I think it will work out for you.