Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I noticed that this years Area 7 tournament is in Harvard, Massachusetts. This suprised me since, well ... IT'S IN MASSACHUSETTS!!!! - the most gun unfriendly place on the planet whose chief of state isn't referred to as "president for life" or "colonel".

What laws should a person who wishes to go to this match be aware of so that he doesn't spend the rest of his life in a cell with a mass murderer?

I went to the website of the club that is hosting the match but didn't find much.

http://www.harvardactionshooters.com/

Fortunately, Massachusetts General (MGL) Chaper 140, Section 131G provides an exemption for non-residents who posess a license issued by any state, district or territory which does not issue licenses to felons or drug users to enter the People's Republic of Massachusetts for the purpose of a handgun competition. (see http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/140-131G.htm for the offical Massachusetts state web site on the topic).

If, on the other hand, you feel a need to carry concealed while visiting MA you would need a temporary non-resident license to carry firearms which costs $50, and you *might* have in time if you apply ASAP. The state is pretty good about issuing these, but it backlogged on the record checks for all firearms licenses. If you want an application, write to "Firearms Records Bureau, 200 Arlington Street Suite 2200, Chelsea MA 02150" and ask for a "temporary non resident license to carry application". The "temporary" refers to the fact that it is a one year license, unlike the 4 year license for residents.

The Area 7 Championship staff will be sending out an individually addressed confirmation letter or postcard to every competitor in advance of the match, so out of state residents will have "written verification" they are registered for this match. Competitors are also advised to have a locking device on the gun (which is much easier than getting into the finer points of exactly when it's required, since you're never prohibited from putting one on a gun in transport).

Rob Boudrie

USPSA Area 7 Director

Thanks for the help Rob. What if you live in a state that doesn't require a license (like my own - Pennsylvania) therefore you can't have a license from your state. Also does a CCW permit count as a "license"?

(BTW - I have a lot of respect for those poor souls who live in restrictive states but still exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.)

If you follow the link in my post you can read the entire text of the MA law, which uses the term "license or permit."

I would like to emphasize a particularly important point relative to visiting ANY state with firearms. The law does not delegate authority for match directors to decide what the law means, and any match official who claims to be able to issue their own "official interpretation" should be viewed with suspicion.

I strongly encourage any competitor visiting other states to check with "official sources" (such as state run web sites or the actual text of the law), and not be satisifed with "so and so said it would be ok." If you want to know what Massachusetts law says on the matter, please follow the link in my post - do not rely on my abbreviated description, which has no official bearing and is not legal advice.

I live in MA and my brother is a member of the Harvard Gun Club. I will say that it is a terrible state to be a "shooter." We can only buy Smith and Wesson, Berreta and Sig firearms new. Other than that we can only buy used guns made before Oct. of 1998 and most of those are limited to what the Attorney General feels is "safe." Enough rambling though... When is this competition?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

You can also buy certain models of brand-new SV Infinity pistols in Massachusetts. Sandy Strayer spent a lot of time and expense to see to it that Infinity Firearms are on the Massachusetts roster of approved for sale firearms. See Infinity's web site for further details (look for Special Announcements for Massachusetts Customers).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark Agerholm

I recently checked out their website and called the shop they stated would sell the Infinity. The dealer said they were still waiting for approval from the attorney general and it would prob. be another few months before they were available. It is good to know that more manufacturers are stepping up to the plate to sell guns in this liberal state.