Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Gold

mike45

Dear All,

A friend is looking at getting a Browning Gold for PSG as one is going cheap. No one uses one for PSG over here, we need to know how to modify it.

I realise it is almost identical to a SX 2 in operation apart from the loading gizzmo, but will simply sticking an extended mag tube on it be enough or do the internals need to be altered / changed.

I think I read on one of these forums that Briley (?) supplies a spring set of about 6 extra springs for the Gold that is needed to allow it to work for PSG. I must admit I find that strange as the SX2 just needed a mag extension and will work fine.

Any views would be really appreciated.

Mike45:

Jimmie Holdsworth and I modified one for 3-gun by mearly getting the extention and spring from Briley and threw on a set of sights, His was a 3 1/2" magnum gun and we haven't had a lick of problems with it. I don't know if the 3 1/2" guns are more robust or if it already has the heavy duty parts that others seem to need. I guess I would start my quest at Briley. KURT

I just got mine set up for 3 gun. I have a Browning Gold European in 3" with a 28" barrel. The model is now called the Classic. Got the Briley mag extension and the spring kit. The spring kit includes a extra power mag spring, extra power recoil spring, and a reduce power carrier spring. Just to see which springs were needed, I replace the mag spring first. It worked okay until the last round. The mag spring was too weak to release ther carrier. So I put in the carrier spring and that fixed the problem. I ended up replace the recoil spring, but I probably didn't need to since it worked without it.

The SX2 is different than the Browning since it doesn't have the speed loading feature.

An 8 round side saddle from 3Gun Gear will just fit on the receiver. The front two rounds will stick out a little because of the magazine cutoff lever.

Kurt and Scooter,

cheers guys, just what I wanted to know. Not sure if its a 3' or 3 1/2' but will find out tomorrow.

Does the mag spring need to be relatively hard to depress to work the action without the carrier spring installed. I re read Pat Kelley's article again last night that was in Front Sight and he talks about the average length of the mag spring should be quote:

"as a rule of thumb the spring should be 8" to 10" longer than the assembled length of your shotgun and extension".

I find this incredible, I understand the 1100 platforms need to push the round out hard enough to release the carrier latch, but even so on my 11/87 and quite a few others I know, the spring is only about 4" longer than the length of the 'mag tube' and the guns have cycled fine over the last 10,000 rounds or so and never lock open. With the springs this short loading is silky smooth with hardly any spring tension. I am even thinking of shaving another inch off that to see if there is any improvement. I know springs compact over time, and loose strength but this seems to have made no difference.

By Pats description I would need a mallet to put the rounds in, or have I misinterpreted his words. :blink:

With my new SX2 I have cut the spring so short that the last round simply pops out, almost lethargically, and it works fine with no apparent loss in cycling time.

cheers,

I have built up a browning gold turkey with a Briley 8 rd tube and springs, its works great for limited, the 1st round auto feed is great and adds some speed.

You do need the spring kit for it to be 100%.

I removed the rear fiber optic sight and shoot it faster close in with just the front turkey fiber optic sight.

The browning seems to shoot softer and faster than my 1100 and much more reliable and softer than the Benelli I got rid of.

There is no side saddles availible but I used an Eagle shell holder on the forearm and its great.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out after playing a bit, a Benelli side saddle bolts right on to the browning gold, it sits a bit back but if your right handed it works well.

The screw size and location are perfect.

I wish someone made an 8 round bolt on carreir.

Mike45, Over the last year I have played with the Gold and have not gotten 100 percent from the gun with a 10 round tube. So far it seems to work great with an 8 round tube, but the 10 is nothing but problems with Fed. Tactical Slugs. My friend has one with a 10 shot tube and it works 100 percent with Remington reduced slugs, but not with the federal. The balancing act with the springs may just be too much for the 10 shot tube. Even Briley couldn't get it to work.