Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I may get a second tool head/dies/powedr funnel/powder measure for 45A

That way i can leave my main set for 45ACP alone, and have a second head set up for experimentation with different powders, bullets ect.

I want to experiment, but then don't cause I hate to have to get it all back to the recipe i use 99% of the time for target shotting. This way i can set my main tool head setup aside and play. Make sense?

Anyone else do this?

That way i can leave my main set for 45ACP alone, and have a second head set up for experimentation with different powders, bullets ect.

I want to experiment, but then don't cause I hate to have to get it all back to the recipe i use 99% of the time for target shotting. This way i can set my main tool head setup aside and play. Make sense?

Anyone else do this?

Not for 45acp. For other calibers a dedicated tool-head is almost mandatory, IMO, unless you're a masochist.

For .45, why not just get a second power measure? Why tweak the other dies? Resizing die won't change. I'd be surprised if the crimping die needed adjustment, and I've followed HSMITH's advice, and set the seating die for factory ball, and left it alone for all other profiles. Works perfectly. Or, worst case -- so you have to adjust the seating die. No big deal, compared to buying a whole second set of dies, and another tool-head and powder measure.

IMO only, though.

Not for 45acp. For other calibers a dedicated tool-head is almost mandatory, IMO, unless you're a masochist.

For .45, why not just get a second power measure? Why tweak the other dies? Resizing die won't change. I'd be surprised if the crimping die needed adjustment, and I've followed HSMITH's advice, and set the seating die for factory ball, and left it alone for all other profiles. Works perfectly. Or, worst case -- so you have to adjust the seating die. No big deal, compared to buying a whole second set of dies, and another tool-head and powder measure.

IMO only, though.

Good point the powder change over is the hassle, guess that is what i will do, thanks

I used to... when my wife was shooting 45 minor.. I'd just swap heads..

I have almost 2 550 setups for everything.. I'm really lazy...

ETA.. I also bought a 2nd 550.. so I have setup for large primers, one for small..

Edited by BerKim

I have a separate toolhead with dies for each caliber I load... 9MM, .40, .45. I switch between 9 & .40 in seconds, but .45 is a PITA due to large primer switchover. Just my $.02

i take my priming system apart to clean about every 1000 rounds anyway, not much work.

Edited by KeithB

i think arrendondo or somebody makes some kind of indexed gizmo that replaces the powder adustment screw, so you can dial the loads back exactly. i've been meaning to get one of these, cause' i experiment shamelessly! i've got a micrometer head on my rcbs powder measure that works great, wonder if this does too?? would make changing powders real easy.....

i think arrendondo or somebody makes some kind of indexed gizmo that replaces the powder adustment screw, so you can dial the loads back exactly. i've been meaning to get one of these, cause' i experiment shamelessly! i've got a micrometer head on my rcbs powder measure that works great, wonder if this does too?? would make changing powders real easy.....

i have a micrometer powder bar adjustment. But i mean playing with different powders. so a extra powder measure would be handy

Anyone else do this?

I did this exact thing when I was primarily shooting 45. I found a load that was the most accurate and perfect for the other games we played locally, but wouldn't even come close to making minor. That was set up on one toolhead and then had a second one for everything else. I ended up selling it when I started shooting all jacketed bullets.

Adam

I've got two 550 presses, one for large primer and the other for small. I have a toolhead setup for each caliber. I use the Redding competition seater, so changing bullet seating is easy. For powder charge changes, I have a number of small powder bars. I've got one for each charge that I use, plus an extra for experimentation. I've got tool bins labeled for the charge that each bar is set to. When I change calibers or loads, I just empty the powder measure, swap bars, fill the measure, and I'm off and running. I do check the charge for sanity, of course. This is easy to me and a lot less expensive than having a powder measure for each caliber or load. A micrometer adjustable powder bar works too, but to me this is a big time saver since I've got a few loads that I rotate (major/minor, open, production, etc.)

It's Uniquetek that sells the micrometer head for Dillons: http://www.uniquetek.com/

It's a great little tool. Once you get it dialed in for a particular powder and load it's easy to go back to it. I think it makes changing powder measures obsolete. That , combined with the Redding Competition seating die makes experimenting with loads and bullets very easy within a single caliber.

...Just my $0.02 worth. :cheers: