Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

12x50- 12x2"

Daniele

Hi

I'm interested in shorter 12 gauge cartridge; anyone out there has experimented a 12x50mm or 12x2"shell for semiauto in practical shooting ?

I saw the Aguila short 12, but it doesn't work the action of semiauto shotgun; anithing else on the market?

Daniele,

In the UK we tend to use 65mm, 2 1/2 shells using 32grms (1 1/4 oz) no. 5 shot made by Gamebore. I checked out their website the other day and they are either a US company or are definitely available over there.

They work a storm in Remys. Heavy reliable loads for 3 gun, and I have only witnessed one cartridge failure in about 10,000 rounds. A few Bennelli users take advantage of them, but most Benelli users use 70mm / 2 3/4 cases.

I have tried the 65mm Gamebore in my SX2 and basically the gun is designed for 70mm or above and jams all the time. Switch to 70mm and it works fine.

If you own a Remmy check them out - and the advantage is you can get an extra cartridge in the mag on loaded starts. I saw Neil Beverley using 65mm 00 Buck about 8 months ago (make unknown). They seemed to work great over 30Yds on paper, heavy steels I didnt witness, but I think they were like rocking horse poo - very rare.

With regards 2" shells, I have never seen them. I have doubts most semi autos will cycle the short case as they are designed for 2 3/4 and above.

Good luck

Mike45:

Gamebore is an off shoot of Kent Velocity a West Virginia company. This is only of interest to you because Kent Velocity is one of the best manufacturers of those "special" rounds we have talked about!! KURT

Kurt,

Cheers for that, I had drawn a complete blank over here - I will now investigate further !! Are you taking some to Italy, if so stick another box in your bag !

Neil Bev, if you read this, are there similar plans for the IPSC rules re cartridge lengths like USPSA ?

Cheers

Mike45:

It will all depend on how many slugs I need to take. ( need to see the stages first). Since I am only allowed 10 pounds of ammo to fly with, that will dictate what I can bring. Either way I will try to bring you a box or two! KURT