Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drilling The D**n Trigger Bar

TRG65

get one of the nice little flat vices that can be screwed or bolted to the table portion under the drill. I have a set of the rubber vice jaws, so I can really tighten things down and not abuse the trigger bar.

Well having some extra triggers, I decided to put it to the test.

Could not dent the puppies at all. Punch, bits (regular metal) just slid off. So, went and got a torch ($12 at HD or Lowes), gave a little heat until it had a bit of a glow, let it air cool.

Took a punch...whack, nice little dimple. Took drill...actually a cordless electric screwdriver/drill with the bit in so it would turn slow, hit the dimple, less than 45 seconds later...new hole.

Did a second one in another trigger now that I had a comfort level...less than 30....

Hmm...can use the torch to make some creme brule now.....

• 2 weeks later...

I tried drilling the trigger bar for the first time today. I used a Dremel tungten carbide cutter bit (because that's what I had sitting around) in my drill press.

It cut through with no problems or heating. The hole is a little too big, but still servicable. The bar is very thin on the sides of the hole. I will pick up a smaller Dremel tungten carbide cutter bit for future drilling.