Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal for IPSC standard

Raudi

I am currently looking for a new IPSC standard gun, and it looks very much as if a .40 S_I is the way to go. Priority no. 1 is, that it will accomodate my progress as a shooter, since I don't want to spend more by selling it and getting a new one in the future. I am willing to pay for better performance, but not for gimmicks, that don't serve performance. I have narrowed down to 3 choices:

1) a tuned up Edge, that contains STI parts mostly.

2) a SVI out of the box (well maybe a triggerjob, but no other work done)

3) having buildt a custom gun from scratch

Which of these options is best?

If we look at a standard Edge, which parts are worth changing, and where would you stay with STI parts anyway? What are the respective virtues of the parts you would change? I ask this, because the ratio between STI parts and aftermarket parts would decide, whether to have an Edge fitted properly and a couple of parts swapped, or to start from scratch.

Things I thought, that I'd have done to an Edge is a nice trigger group (maybe CS and Koenig hammer), slide lightening, stippled grip and undercut triggerguard, and a good durable finish and maybe a barrel from Barsto or Nowlin, and of course fitting all the parts properly. What do you think about that list? What other things will be beneficial?

As to my preference, I have to say, that I prefer a relatively heavy gun, but I was impressed with how lightened slides feel.

Thanks a lot for your advice,

Raudi

I'm with Blum. Get a custom gun built. I went with the Edge this past summer ( don't get me wrong great gun ) but I've had everything replaced and fitted by a gunsmith. Costs about the same less aggravation for the gun smith.

I'm with Blum. Get a custom gun built. I went with the Edge this past summer ( don't get me wrong great gun ) but I've had everything replaced and fitted by a gunsmith. Costs about the same less aggravation for the gun smith.

Thanks for the answers. Glen, what parts did you have replaced, and which of the changes did boost your performance?

I am currently looking for a new IPSC standard gun, and it looks very much as if a .40 S_I is the way to go. . . .

Raudi

You have likely made up your mind - but I have to disagree that S_I is "THE" way to go.

National Titles in both Limited and L-10 have gone to Glock - suggesting its a better gun - or at least, just as capable. If you want a custom, SJC can build you a custom racing Glock for Limited.

Moreover, Henning and Canyon Creek are selling top notch Tanfoglio Limited gun packagess that offer are every bit as much capability as S_I guns as far as capacity, accuracy, reliability, ability to load long, etc.

My own choice is the excellent CZ Tactical Sports/Standard IPSC which comes from the factory with a 2 lb crisp trigger that, unlike S_I, does not need constant gunsmith maintnance to keep from following or doubling. Cost is under $1000, new.

But, what ever gun you eventually get, welcome aboard & see you at the range.

Regards,

d.

I am currently looking for a new IPSC standard gun, and it looks very much as if a .40 S_I is the way to go. . . .

Raudi

You have likely made up your mind - but I have to disagree that S_I is "THE" way to go.

National Titles in both Limited and L-10 have gone to Glock - suggesting its a better gun - or at least, just as capable. If you want a custom, SJC can build you a custom racing Glock for Limited.

Moreover, Henning and Canyon Creek are selling top notch Tanfoglio Limited gun packagess that offer are every bit as much capability as S_I guns as far as capacity, accuracy, reliability, ability to load long, etc.

My own choice is the excellent CZ Tactical Sports/Standard IPSC which comes from the factory with a 2 lb crisp trigger that, unlike S_I, does not need constant gunsmith maintnance to keep from following or doubling. Cost is under $1000, new.

But, what ever gun you eventually get, welcome aboard & see you at the range.

Regards,

d.

Carlos,

I have made the decision for S_I based on ergonomics. The guns you mentioned are certainly good, but the problem boils down to what I can shoot well and not so much on what has the technical capability to do so. In fact I shoot a CZ right now, I have tried Tanfoglios and have shot Glocks a lot. Somehow, I cannot shoot Glocks particularly well, which is partly because I dislike even the best Glock triggers I have seen aroundn and partly because I don't get a consistent grip, since I am used to riding the safety. With CZ and Tanfoglio I have the problem, that the grip doesn't fit my hand particularly well. I have very long fingers and the somewhat large 2011 grip just fits my hand, as if it were designed with me in mind.

Because I made the platform decision based on personal experience of what works for me, I didn't put it to discussion here. But since I don't have the possibility of personally trying all the different options, that can be had on the 2011 platform, let alone for a long time test, that would tell me what works in the long run, I wanted to draw upon the vast accumulated experience of the members of this board. But thanks anyway. Although I am set when it comes to the platform decision, I certainly appreciate your pointing out different possibilities.

Thanks again,

Raudi

get a custom from Brazos, Dawson, Bedell or similar. I can't name many more on the top of my head because I live on the other side of the planet from you guys and don't know the names.

You get a Bedell Custom from Shooters Connection @ $2500 and that guy has a LOT of fans around here.

The SV is virtually a custom made gun. Thier parts are as good as or better in some instances than what you will find in a custom gun. The price is also the same. If you don't want to wait on a custom build buy the SV. If you are willing to wait get one built.

FWIW I shoot a factory Edge and so far so good. I've changed the stock aluminum magwell to a Stainless one because I like some weight on the grips to balance the gun out; besides a nice 2# trigger job, the gun is stock. I've shot maybe 10K rounds through it and I'm still very happy with it. For me, reliability is what I look for in an IPSC gun and the Edge has been very reliable. If you can get a custom built gun for abut $1,700 (or you have a lot of cash to spare) then I say go for it. Who wouldn't want a gun from Dan Bedell, Brazos and Dawson to name a few; they make the best in the market. However, if you are on a "budget", getting the Edge will leave you some cash for magazines, rig and ammo. Just send it for a trigger job and it should be ready. Just sharing my experience and my 2 cents worth, hope this helps :D Good Luck!

IMHO it is a better idea to get a near stock gun and start shooting it. After you shot it for a while you can then make an informed decision on what you would like do done to the gun. Just think, you spend a near fortune on Fiber Optic just to realize later that you are one of the people that does not like FO, or like a thinner or thicker one. To me my guns are always in a stage of flux, constantly changing, mostly getting better but also sometime worse. Added to that my way is more fun and the end result, if I ever reach it, would be the perfect gun for me.