Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

185 SWC powder reccomendation

Airframe Mech

I've used alot of Unique for my cast 230grain RN and like it. I have 1000 185 SWC lead cast bullets. I could't find the reccomended load with the Unique. I tried 5 grains and just wasn't enough umpf. Failed to cycle a few times and ejected brass right at my feet.

Any exprience with these bullets??

the 185 gr with Unique calls for between 5.0 &7.5 grs you were/are at the bottom of the book try 6.0 and see what you get, good luck

Nice find, where did you find it? I looked at the Alliant web site and everywhere else and couldn't find anything for Unique and 185SWC. I was thinking of going 5.4 gr and 5.6 of the Unique and see what it does and then up more if needed.

Thanks fr the information.

the 185 gr with Unique calls for between 5.0 &7.5 grs you were/are at the bottom of the book try 6.0 and see what you get, good luck

Nice find, where did you find it? I looked at the Alliant web site and everywhere else and couldn't find anything for Unique and 185SWC. I was thinking of going 5.4 gr and 5.6 of the Unique and see what it does and then up more if needed.

Thanks fr the information.

the Lyman handbook has the most info for cast bullett loads around. I usually start at the mid point on any powder charge and adjust from there rather than the bottom, my rule of thumb because most books are consirvative anyways.....

Edited by DEADEYE

In my expereince Unique is a bit too slow burning for a 45 ACP. I prefer such powders as VV N-310, WST, American Select, Bullseye or Clays. A slightly slower powder like W-231 is also preferrred by many shooters. For the 185 gr. LSWC if ind that 3.8 gr. VV N-310 withe Winchester WLP primner to provide ca. 790 fps with outstanding accuracy out to 50 yards.

I've used alot of Unique for my cast 230grain RN and like it. I have 1000 185 SWC lead cast bullets. I could't find the reccomended load with the Unique. I tried 5 grains and just wasn't enough umpf. Failed to cycle a few times and ejected brass right at my feet.

Any exprience with these bullets??

3.6-3.8gr Clays

4.1-4.3 gr WST

Clays and WST work for me :cheers:

6 grains seems to work well. The OAL is down to 1.22 and I still have a few that fail to chamber, can I go 1.21 ?

I'm at 1.18 on my 200gr cast and 1.20 on my 200gr Jacketed you do get some rooom to work. The best way to determine OAL length is to remove the barrell and seat 10@ your new length and make sure they are at the barell hood or slightly below. I shoot 6.0gr of Unique with a 200gr LSWC....

Once I get a reliable load and lenght I like I make a dummy round so I always have something to go back too... :cheers:

Edited by DEADEYE

• 2 weeks later...