Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner to Reloading

AGR_Austin

Have been researching reloading equipment since I have been shooting a new Super Redhawk .44 Mag and need to lower the cost of my ammo. Brother recommended getting a Dillon Reloading 550B. I saw the kits that Brian has for sale and wondered if there is a

used equipment resale site or not. Since the Dillon machines have a lifetime warranty thought I would see if I could find one.

Any information is appreciated.

:surprise:

First off, welcome to the site!!

You'll see used Dillon presses here in the Classified section from time to time; usually because someone is upgrading to a faster model. I started with the 550B and was very happy with it for many years until just recently when my ammo consumption increased. The 550B is a great press for a guy starting reloading - it offers a good rate of production, coupled with easy caliber changes. Another feature I really liked on the 550B was the manual indexing of rounds from station to station - this made fixing any mistakes very easy (unlike the 650, which has auto-indexing).

You cannot go wrong with a Dillon press - they come with their lifetime "No BS" warranty. On the rare occasion that something breaks or stops working, they'll replace it for free - heck, they even pay shipping on the item to get it to you. I'm so happy with all my Dillon products that I can't see owning anything else.

Occasionally you'll find a good deal on a Dillon press but they usually don't last long - we're talking minutes here. However, most used presses go for just a bit less $$ than a new press. If you do decide to get a new one, I'd recommend contacting Brian here on the site - he'll get you headed down the right path.

Again, welcome to the best shooting forum on the net.

I bought a 550B slightly used off eBay. It came with 2 conversion kits 2 tool heads with powder measures for 9mm & 40SW, both Dillon & Lee dies for each caliber, EGW U dies for both calibers a strong mount, roller handle, bullet holder, the mount for the bins for empty cases and loaded rounds. Other accessories included the large primer tubes and powder bars, 2 bench wrenches and mounted allen wrench holder that mounts to the press as well as a primer flip tray and & 10 each of the large and small primer tubes for less that $500 shipped.

I just had to buy reloading components, a scale & calipers and I was up and running in no time. I feel that I did ok with that deal as I got more than I wanted for a bit less than I wanted to pay at the time. So for me I think I got a bargain or at least that is what I told Mrs Throwin Lead! :ph34r:

I'm not telling you to run over to eBay and bid like a madman - just that may be another resource worth cheking out. Maybe do an advanced search for completed listings of Dillon 550 at eBay and get a feel for where the prices are and what accessories were included for that price.

I bought a 550B slightly used off eBay. It came with 2 conversion kits 2 tool heads with powder measures for 9mm & 40SW, both Dillon & Lee dies for each caliber, EGW U dies for both calibers a strong mount, roller handle, bullet holder, the mount for the bins for empty cases and loaded rounds. Other accessories included the large primer tubes and powder bars, 2 bench wrenches and mounted allen wrench holder that mounts to the press as well as a primer flip tray and & 10 each of the large and small primer tubes for less that $500 shipped.

I just had to buy reloading components, a scale & calipers and I was up and running in no time. I feel that I did ok with that deal as I got more than I wanted for a bit less than I wanted to pay at the time. So for me I think I got a bargain or at least that is what I told Mrs Throwin Lead! :ph34r:

I'm not telling you to run over to eBay and bid like a madman - just that may be another resource worth cheking out. Maybe do an advanced search for completed listings of Dillon 550 at eBay and get a feel for where the prices are and what accessories were included for that price.

Thanks for the info.... I just clicked over from the EBAY site and have several options... hopefully I can get as good a deal as you did....

Looking forward getting started... and this will also become a family affair, I didn't know my brother had a Dillon and has been using it for several years.... Thank you again

Al

AGR Austin,

Below is the text of a For Sale ad off the USPSA Classified page.

Price seems pretty good considering it comes with a set of Dies and cover.

Updated: 01/21/2008 7:58:28 PM

Name: Mike Slusher - a15221

Email: slusher24@hotmail.com

Phone: 5598592059

Price: $425.00

650 press with 40 cal dyes / cover / no case feeder need funds for 13yr old son. needs gun to start shooting uspsa thanks for looking mike s.

AGR Austin,

Below is the text of a For Sale ad off the USPSA Classified page.

Price seems pretty good considering it comes with a set of Dies and cover.

Updated: 01/21/2008 7:58:28 PM

Name: Mike Slusher - a15221

Email: slusher24@hotmail.com

Phone: 5598592059

Price: $425.00

650 press with 40 cal dyes / cover / no case feeder need funds for 13yr old son. needs gun to start shooting uspsa thanks for looking mike s.

I am not familiar with the USPSA Classified page... but thanks for the info and I have emailed and will try calling as well.

Tnx Al