Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts On P99 And 92fs For Production

kidd

i currently shot production with my g17 but not comfortable with the grip angle (got the

1911 syndrome) and i tend to shot high with the glock.

has anybody shot with the p99 or beretta in production or a should i forget about the

2 models and trade it in for an LDA.

thnks

kidd

I haven't shot the p99 in production, but I have shot production with a Beretta Elite II and a Beretta Vertec. Both berettas I have shot were great in production. The only drawbacks with the 92fs are the sights and the slide mounted safety. If you always remember to flip the safety off once you drop your hammer and the sights don't bother you, then the beretta is perfect.

kidd,

I would give the new 5" Springfield XD a try. I have short fingers, but find the grip contour feels better than the Glock. Beretta's are good guns and you won't go wrong with one, but the Springfield will give you a longer sight radius, a definite bonus when trying to maximize points for shooting minor, and a trigger similar of better than a Glock. Accuracy is supposed to be quite good also. I'm sure some people on this forum will be able to give you a better idea of it's accuracy potential as I do not own one, yet.

Erik

Ditto on the XD. Unless I was a police officer, or had some other compelling reason to own a Glock/Beretta/Whatever for parts/magazine compatibility reasons, the XD would be my hands down first choice. I haven't shot one yet, but will soon. Unless the XD suffers some type of reliabilty problems down the road, it will be THE gun to have for Production.

JMHO.

Guest qstick

I absolutely love my XD9. Although I am new to the sport and haven't used the XD in competition yet, I have put a few tousand rounds through it so far and couldn't be more impressed. The grip angle is extremely comfortable and the gun points very well for me.

The 9mm is not available in a 5" version yet though. I spoke to the Springfield folks this morning and they said that they hoped it would start shipping in mid to late August. The sight radius on the 4" model is 5.9" and the sight radius on the 5" model is 6.1". While testing at the range between a 4" xd9 and a 5" xd40, I found the 4" version a little easier to maneuver on the short and middle range targets. I suspect that either would be fine for IPSC, very similair to the Glock 17/34 debate.

As for reliability, I haven't ventured into reloading yet, so I have tried a ton of factory ammo. My springfield has fed everything reliably. The main concern about these guns is the ejector...the magazine will bump into it if it is slammed into the gun. Springfield will replace the part for free (as they should) and they say that it has no effect on the gun's performance. I have read several reports about the gun continuing to cycle smoothly for thousands of rounds after having the tip of the ejector snapped off.

Good Luck,

Zach