Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting a single stack magwell

Revopop

I ran across a Taurus PT1911 today for a price so low I couldn't pass it up. It's on layaway now, but I've got a few questions. The only thing I'll probably add is a magwell as it's already had an excellent trigger job done. I'm not a do-it-yourselfer, and I'm just wondering if adding an S&A style magwell is something I can do myself with basically no tools. I've never even given my Glock a .25 trigger job because I don't trust myself with it. All I've really got is a screwdriver, but I'd be willing to invest in a punch if I need to, and I definitely don't have any plans of getting within 20 feet of any of my guns with a Dremel. :blush:

Is the S&A magwell the way to go, or are 2 piece magwells like an Ed Brown Maxi-Well easier to install?

Also, the thumb safety is very stiff. It certainly engages and disengages positively, but it requires far too much force in order to do so. Any ideas on how to fix this?

None of the magwells you mention are hard to install, but one you didn't mention is the easiest I've seen or heard about. The Techwell magwell (three sizes to pick from) requires nothing more than a screwdriver. You buy the magwell and matching Alumagrips, take off the old grips, slip the magwell over the frame and put the Alumagrips on. The magwell has tabs that fit into slots on the Alumagrips. When you tighten the grips down they totally secure the magwell so solid you'd think it was welded on....very neat setup. The smallest size is smaller than an S&A if I recall and the largest size is the biggest you can find anywhere that will still fit the USPSA box. The medium size is probably right for most applications...nice big opening and smooth angles to help the reload. I have the largest size on my SS gun and really like it. I trimmed a tiny bit off the front just to be sure it would fit the box, but it turned out that it would have been fine without that...just wanted to be sure and I didn't have access to a box so I drew the dimensions out on cardboard.

That certainly looks like a pretty slick setup. I'm not really a fan of giant magwells like the SV one, I think their ugliness outweighs the benefits for me, but the smaller Techwell looks like it would fit the bill. A little spendy, though considering it's nearly a third of what I'm paying for the gun.

That certainly looks like a pretty slick setup. I'm not really a fan of giant magwells like the SV one, I think their ugliness outweighs the benefits for me, but the smaller Techwell looks like it would fit the bill. A little spendy, though considering it's nearly a third of what I'm paying for the gun.

You can most certainly install and blend an S&A magwell yourself. Do a google search for "Blindhogg". I followed his web instructions, and DID use a Dremel on my Les Baer, along with files and different grit paper, and was extremely happy with the results. I can post some pictures later. That said, ordinarily, you shouldn't allow me near a screwdriver, and I don't play a gunsmith on television nor in person.

The cool thing is, you smear the entire mess with some 'Cold Blue' and...it looks like a gun again.

Check with some old shooters (someone who has been shooting IPSC for years). They may have the original add on mag well which was plastic and similar to the Techwell except you don't need special grips. If you find one then you can use it until you save for something better. We used them for 5+ years without wearing them out until something different came along. They might even show up at gun shows. I still have at least one and would not hesitate to use it for comp or carry.

Installing an S&A magwell is easy. (You will need a set of punches, though, or I can do it for you.) Blending it and making it look decent is another matter, but that is purely optional. I shot a Springfield 1911 with a non-blended magwell for several years before I finally bothered to blend it in, from a practical perspective it makes very little difference.

I can't see why folks install a magwell and go to the trouble of milling it when they barely extend the job into the frame.

From the pics, the benefit from the magwell is exactly the same as the bevel cut into the frame.

I've seen some huge magwells that basically offer nothing because the frame isn't opened up at all.

Brian's book shows how it should be done IMHO.

I don't think I'm too off-base here, as reloading a SS was such a strength of mine when I was shooting L-10 that a mandatory reload (the more the better) in a classifier would result in a top 3 overall stage finish for me regardless of what anyone else was shooting or any other detail of the COF. Of course those 30 years of reloading a 1911 without even having a beveled frame might have helped me a little.

I think the fear of widebody guns and claims that "they are always faster to reload" come from lack of practice and poorly installed magwells. Quit treating those guns like play pretty toys and open them up! Check out the SS in Brian's book. Absolutely beautiful and twice as functional as most anything I've seen besides mine. Done correctly, a LOT of magwell is going to end up as shavings on the floor.

Pet peeve mode OFF.

I can't see why folks install a magwell and go to the trouble of milling it when they barely extend the job into the frame.

From the pics, the benefit from the magwell is exactly the same as the bevel cut into the frame.

I've seen some huge magwells that basically offer nothing because the frame isn't opened up at all.

Brian's book shows how it should be done IMHO.

I don't think I'm too off-base here, as reloading a SS was such a strength of mine when I was shooting L-10 that a mandatory reload (the more the better) in a classifier would result in a top 3 overall stage finish for me regardless of what anyone else was shooting or any other detail of the COF. Of course those 30 years of reloading a 1911 without even having a beveled frame might have helped me a little.

I think the fear of widebody guns and claims that "they are always faster to reload" come from lack of practice and poorly installed magwells. Quit treating those guns like play pretty toys and open them up! Check out the SS in Brian's book. Absolutely beautiful and twice as functional as most anything I've seen besides mine. Done correctly, a LOT of magwell is going to end up as shavings on the floor.

Pet peeve mode OFF.

If you're 3/8" off without a magwell you just totally fumbled the reload and you're not going to save it.

If you're 3/8" off with something like the SV unit or the Techwell (whether you've opened up the frame or not) it won't be the smoothest reload, but it's still going to go in the gun okay. A magwell isn't a replacement for reload practice, it's insurance to save your butt when you mess one up. I'll happily take the error margin it gives me and run with it!

TGO had what looked like a modified Techwell on his gun this past weekend and I know he's used them in the past...tells me something ;)

Edit for fumble-finger spelling.

Edited by G-ManBart

I put one of these magwells on my single stack. It was extremely easy.

The ONLY work is to chizzle a little material out of the back side of the wooden grips. Just trace an outline of the 'hooks' onto the back of the grip, score it with a knife, and chizzle until everything fits.

As mentioned above, I think you can buy Alumagrips with the backside relief already completed.

188B.jpg

Wilson Combat Mag Well