Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Change training to make master?

Holshot

I went from D to A last year and now I'm a little unsure of how to proceed with training. I made the jump simply by training the fundamentals. So you can help me out a little more I'll give you my basic training schedule. I train 4 - 5 days per week with at least 2 of those days being live fire and average between 600 and 1000 rounds per week when really training. I have "Skill Courses" that I've designed that work on certain skills - SHO/WHO, draws/transitions, movement, in/out of boxes, barricades and I record some times with the drills. This keeps the practices focused and I try to treat each shot like it's in the match (golf secret). I always start and finish with groups and I rarely set up stages. My dry fire is out of Steve Anderson's books (usually 10 - 14 exercises per session) and I follow Lanny Bassham's mental game recommendations. My goal for 2008 was to make A by April and M by October (got to have a realistic one and a big one).

Well, I'm ahead of schedule and a little freaked. As much as I want to make Master, I don't want the word "bagger" to be associated with me no matter what word precedes it. My question is would you change your training if you were me? If so, how? My goal is to make master, but I guess I should qualify that to competitive master. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Constant focus on the fundamentals is the way to go.

My recommendation is to ignore the word "bagger" in any connotation. If your match scores aren't as good as your classifier scores, figure out the 5 biggest reasons why and focus your training on that. If your classifier scores aren't as good as your match scores, figure out the 5 biggest reasons why and focus your training on those.

Eliminating weakness while constantly re-visiting the fundamentals is where it's all at.

Eliminating weakness while constantly re-visiting the fundamentals is where it's all at.

Good advice.

Points and Movement. Faster then more accurate. Then faster then more accurate.

Learn to KNOW the hit is there. Really slow down and learn to call shots, using those hard earned fundamentals. Learn to shoot wild ass field courses at "Virginia count" pace, so when yo unload and show clear, you KNOW they're all there.

I wouldn't worry about classifications, when you focus on the right things they'll take care of themselves. I've always moved up when I quit worrying about it and just focus on the shooting.

Take a breather, take objective stock of your game and get back to work!!! :cheers:

Here's my take, for what it's worth.

Wanna make M or GM as soon as possible? Direct your energy to the stand and deliver skills, clear your mind of the clutter, and shoot A's just as fast as you can. You will rock on the speedshoots and short courses. Too bad that isn't where folks gather up the most match points.

Wanna be a better shooter all the way around and let M and GM happen on their own? Keep doing what you are doing, become a real student of what it takes to minimize excessive motion on field courses. Learn how to keep your focus and how to keep your attention directed on what matters, and look at the mental management aspects of the game. YMMV.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

I would just keep doing what you already are but I would also start to take video as well. It will let you see how you actually are moving. whether you break the shot and move or are already moving and then breaking the shot as well as how you are setting up when entering a box.

Verify that when you are entering that the gun is up on target and you can break the shot as soon as you are in the box. You will probably still be moving but that is what makes the Ms and the GMs what they are.

also when at matches, learn how to think out a stage. Just because it says this and everyone is shooting it like that doesn't mean that there isn't a better way. Experiment with what you know you can do and try not to ever wait for a target. If you know you can hit an activator and engage 1 or 2 more targets then go for it as long as you know you have enough time to do so.

Brian

Good replies so far, I would the biggest help that is not mentioned is actually shooting with M's and GM's every chance you can. Shooting with people in your own class can limit your skills if your new. Don't get me wrong you can learn from anyone and any class of shooter. If you really want to see what is possible with a pistol squad with some M's and GM's. Once you squad with them you'll see some things that really stand out. Target to targetvfootwork will be smooth, quick with no wasted movement. Never looking for targets, stage plan is burned in. Once you see things things first hand and kicking dirt and gravel around with some of these guys you'll start to realize you can do the same thing. If you dont' have any M's or GM's around get some Nationals videos or any match video and study them. If you go to any Majors and they have self service squadding try and squad up with these guys.

Also spend a few bucks and Buy "With Winning in Mind", I think about $12 bucks or something. Buy it ASAP. It is a great help with the mental aspect of the game as well as goal setting.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40