Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any consensus on Stoning Fixtures?

cheers623

Ok guys here we go.....

I have read alot on this forum but can't seem to find a consensus opinion on what I am looking for. I would like to buy a stoning fixture for trigger jobs and am not afraid to drop the money on a quality purchase. However, after all of the searching and reading I am still as confused as ever. I am no genius gunsmith but can and will read directions carefully and am willing to take the time to do things right the first time. I have gotten great feedback from a number of you guys about every other question I have ever asked so......for someone who has fairly decent mechanical aptitude and will spend the money up front rather than later on, do you guys(Merlin, HSMITh, etc, etc, etc) have a recommendation on a hammer and sear jig? I eagerly await the collective wisdom that will no doubt flow from this inquiry!!!!!!

Thanks in advance and all the best,

cheers623

Ok guys here we go.....

The Power Series 1 seems to be the front runner..... personally I use the Brownells/Marvel jug for the hammer hooks...get's 'em square and sharp...... and the Marvel roller jig for the sear. I used to use the one jig for both... but the roller jig is just easier to make minor adjustments while stoning the sear.

The Power jig has a lot of adjustability and repeatability.

You can still junk a sear with all of 'em if you don't take care !!

+1 on the Powers Series I Jig.

Gene Shuey does a nice job explaining how to do a nice 1911 trigger in his AGI series. It's a special order item from Brownells, but worth the money if you want to learn how to do it right. Send me a PM and I'll try to steer you in the right direction.

When you do start messing around with this stuff, do yourself and everyone else a favor. Go to the range by yourself and test fire the gun, and don't put more than two rounds in the gun. When you start playing around with things you haven't fully figured out yet, exciting things will happen.

Good Luck. Be Careful.

You are approaching this from the wrong end. The make of the jig is nothing. Understanding what you are doing is everything.

A better jig makes the job go quicker. Take the time to learn, and do it right. Don't be afraid to ruin a few parts.