Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD45 Tactical double feeds, help!

chrisjohn

After getting the trigger where I want it, my XD45 tactical will double feed if I don’t have a really good grip on it. It seems over sprung for my 4.3 gr 200 gr. Lswc loads and I was thinking of going to a 16 lbs spring as the slide doesn’t travel far enough to kick the fired casing out from the extractor with the factory spring. Am I on the right track?

XD .45's do not like LSWC, that is most likely your problem. PM or e-mail me if you want and I can give you a call and explain the why if you want the specifics.

So you think the issue will resolve with 200 gr jacketed bullets from Montana Gold?

When you say double feed do you mean two live rounds or an empty casing in the chamber and a live cartridge jammed behind it?

The former is a magazine failure (cartridges jumping out under recoil). The latter is a failure to extract.

I don't see what bullet profile has to do with double feed issues but I may be missing some particular of the XD design.

Edited by adweisbe

When using SWC bullets in the XD acp the empty case rim comes in contact with the shoulder of the bullet of the next round in the mag when extracting. It's not a feed issue, it's an extraction issue. Some guns will run them others just won't without some modification. It's easier to use a bullet profile that doesn't have a sharp shoulder like true SWC bullets.

Rich

When you say double feed do you mean two live rounds or an empty casing in the chamber and a live cartridge jammed behind it?

The former is a magazine failure (cartridges jumping out under recoil). The latter is a failure to extract.

I don't see what bullet profile has to do with double feed issues but I may be missing some particular of the XD design.

Yes, failure to extract.

When using SWC bullets in the XD acp the empty case rim comes in contact with the shoulder of the bullet of the next round in the mag when extracting. It's not a feed issue, it's an extraction issue. Some guns will run them others just won't without some modification. It's easier to use a bullet profile that doesn't have a sharp shoulder like true SWC bullets.

Rich

Why does hitting the bullet shoulder keep the fired case from ejecting?

Like Rich said, the feeding problem is related to the extraction and the case being caught by the case with the SWC's. You can also have issues with them getting caught on the ramp, ala using a sharp profile like the Corbon HP's as the bullets nose down before getting to the barrel's feed ramp.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Like Rich said, the feeding problem is related to the extraction and the case being caught by the case with the SWC's. You can also have issues with them getting caught on the ramp, ala using a sharp profile like the Corbon HP's as the bullets nose down before getting to the barrel's feed ramp.

I just don't understand how a bullet profile affects extraction? The bullet has already traveled down the barrel.

Listen to Rich he built my tricked out xd 45. The bullet causing the problem is not the fired one but the one in top of the mag. I think. O, and if you want to make it run call Rich he knows xds.

Edited by sono

Listen to Rich he built my tricked out xd 45. The bullet causing the problem is not the fired one but the one in top of the mag. I think. O, and if you want to make it run call Rich he knows xds.

I guess the back of the fired case could be hitting the base of the round that is on the top of the mag getting ready to be chambered, but the thing is that I had this issue much worse when I was using up the last of some low recoil I'd loaded for bulls eye style shooting and the problem disappeared when loading to make major power factor.

Regardless I just gave myself an inguinal hernia picking up a case of 200 gr .45 bullets from Montana Gold complements of the USPS. Also received a 16 lbs Wolff Spring, so I'll see if that helps at all.

Edited by chrisjohn

I have not handled an XD, but I would expect the empty case to be held up against the breechface until it reaches the ejector. The case slides down a bit after the barrel cams down, but I would still expect the bottom of the breechface to be keeping the top round in the magazine from getting involved. In a 1911 the disconnector rail would be doing this. I wonder what motivated that design choice.

My first Sig-Sauer P220 operated the same way.

When fired, the barrel cammed down to unlock.

The movement was far enough to bring some of the rim of the empty case below the breechface.

As the slide came back in recoil, the next round started up as soon as the feed rail cleared the front edge of the case.

The "hangy-down" part of the empty case's rim would strike the shoulder of the next round's SWC. This would lock up the gun very solidly.

I have read a lot of people to say their P220s will shoot SWCs. But I have seen others besides my first one that would not. (I don't ask my present one to try. It runs fine with roundnose, truncated cone, and ogival JHP.)

I figure that with a bullet with smooth ogive and no shoulder that protruding rim just bounces off, probably depressing the round a little, and the slide continues back to eject.

It seems the XD .45 is built the same way. It and the Sig were probably designed that way to minimize the height of an already rather tall gun.

Life is too short to struggle with such stuff. Use bullets that work, the design of the gun is against you with SWCs, why fight it.

Edited by Jim Watson