Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder measure ?

Just a quick question did a search and nothing came up.

Im thinking about getting a 650 and I had a question about the powder measure. Im going to load 4 callibers, but I figure I'll load a few thousand of one then switch to the next. Instead of buying 4 powder measures, can I buy some charge bars and set them up to the correct specs so when I change rounds I shouldnt have a need for a major adjustment of the charge. Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated thanks again.

Im thinking about getting a 650 and I had a question about the powder measure. Im going to load 4 callibers, but I figure I'll load a few thousand of one then switch to the next. Instead of buying 4 powder measures, can I buy some charge bars and set them up to the correct specs so when I change rounds I shouldnt have a need for a major adjustment of the charge. Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated thanks again.

Welcome to the forums, rescue.

Most folks I know would splurge and dedicate a measure to each toolhead for each caliber loaded, but, yeah, that is a form of indulgence ;) .

What you're proposing should work, but sounds a bit laborious. You'll not be doing a quick swap out of the tool head, or of the whole measure, you're going to have to partially disassemble the measure to change out the bars. I, at least, would still be tempted (and usually do, for loads where PF is critical) to check and adjust the drop anyway when starting a session, and definitely would do so with any new lot of powder. Lots of times a bit of tweaking is in order. So if you end up checking and adjusting anyway, you may not be saving a whole lot of time just by changing the charge bar.

Complete toolheads, including the measure, are where it's at for the 650, unless of course, you get a dedicated 650 for every caliber :cheers::lol:

Welcome to the forums, rescue.

Most folks I know would splurge and dedicate a measure to each toolhead for each caliber loaded, but, yeah, that is a form of indulgence ;) .

What you're proposing should work, but sounds a bit laborious. You'll not be doing a quick swap out of the tool head, or of the whole measure, you're going to have to partially disassemble the measure to change out the bars. I, at least, would still be tempted (and usually do, for loads where PF is critical) to check and adjust the drop anyway when starting a session, and definitely would do so with any new lot of powder. Lots of times a bit of tweaking is in order. So if you end up checking and adjusting anyway, you may not be saving a whole lot of time just by changing the charge bar.

Complete toolheads, including the measure, are where it's at for the 650, unless of course, you get a dedicated 650 for every caliber :cheers::lol:

Listen to Kevin!!!

Kevin,

Thanks for the welcome. I have a "lee stoolmaster" I mean load master that I have tried to use for the last year. I wasnt sure if the dillon was as easy to change the charge bar like on the LEE. I guess Im just going to have to convince the wife that I need 4 complete setups to go alon with big blue. Thanks again for the advice and Im sure once it gets here you will be seing a few posts again. Take care

Rswim,

I do just that, I buy extra dies for the powder measure and the powder check (+ rods for the powder check) so the tool head is already setup. Dump powder into original container, remove powder measure (2 bolts) loosen the pivot screw and remove powder bar, install in reverse order.

+1 for the uniquetek

It works great :bow:

Randy quick ? If I go this route instead of 2 or 4 setups. I assume "this is an example" never seen the dillon charge bar. so lets say the 40 s&w takes 10 grams of powder and its 10mm on the bar and the 45 takes 20 grams and is 20mm on the bar. I assume You just dial the bar from 10 to 20. weigh the charge adjust accordingly and your good to go. I do agree 4 complete setups would be the best but kids wifes and finances don't always agree with your decisions. Thanks again

With the Uniqutek powder vernier measure bar you can plot weight drops for different powders, and pretty much dial in a Grain drop just by setting the dial to what you have learnt in the past, it is still wise to check each time you change it (I always drop 10 charges and weight total of 10 and do the math /10 to find accurate drop rate), but it makes it so much easier, especially if your only going to use one powder measure drop assembly.

+1 for the uniquetek

It works great :bow:

Randy quick ? If I go this route instead of 2 or 4 setups. I assume "this is an example" never seen the dillon charge bar. so lets say the 40 s&w takes 10 grams of powder and its 10mm on the bar and the 45 takes 20 grams and is 20mm on the bar. I assume You just dial the bar from 10 to 20. weigh the charge adjust accordingly and your good to go. I do agree 4 complete setups would be the best but kids wifes and finances don't always agree with your decisions. Thanks again

Example Titegroup on my set up

0.100 = 2.4 Gr

0.200 = 4.2 Gr

0.250 = 4.7 Gr which is my load

I can swap powders and change this setting to what ever I have plotted & learnt in the past with that powder, quick, easy simple. Read the detail & reviews on http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231