Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Captive Guide rod issues

TannerB

I just got a Lightning Strike SS captive guide rod, and when I installed it I can't rack the slide back all the way, and you can hear the springs binding on the barrel I think? It will go back probably only an inch and stop. If I take the washer off and make it uncaptive its not a problem and works. Which its really not a big problem to have it uncaptive but I was just wonder why this is?

I take it that its normal to make a metal rubbing sound now? Make sense going from a plastic guide rod to a metal one for the noise.

As always thanks.

Sounds like the washer is binding on the guide rod if it works when its uncaptured. I have a couple of THE captive guide rods, but mine don't have washers. The screw you put on the end is big enough to hold the recoil spring in place(kind of mushroom shaped). Can you put it together without the washer? It's not normal to have metal rubbing sounds either.

Have used both captive and non-captive guide rods in stainless and tungsten without any issues of any sort in both my G17 and G34 for tens of thousands of rounds, but they are not Lightning Strike. I use ISMI springs on THE guide rods purchased from Custom Glock Racing (http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=000001&CAT=000009&BACK=A0007A1B0000001B1).