Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Split/Transition Drill

sloopy70

One of my favorite drills is to use my hanging plate rack with 8" plates and at 10yds shoot each outside plate. The plates are about 6' apart, and I start on target on either plate then after the buzzer shoot a plate, and transition to the second plate. Came about this drill trying to find ways to save money on ammo for practice, and since it only takes 2 bullets per attempt you can make alot of passes at it. My split times on average are .18's to .22's. I don't concentrate on the reaction time, just use the buzzer as a starting point, it really helps me with learning what I see at high speed transitions...

Any Thoughts???

Sounds great. That is fast. Can you mix it up (run different plates so you aren't grooved in)? Stay consistent?

Wanna share what you are seeing at speed?

I was using my XD9 4". I use it to shoot Limited, since I can't afford a custom gun at the moment, I know I'm minor handicapped, but my thinking is that it will just make me better fighting for all A's... Anyway... Yeah I was staying pretty consistent between .18's and about .22's never as high as .25. As for what I'm seeing at speed... Since I'm already on target, I'm trying not to anticipate the buzzer since my focus isn't on a fast reaction time, even though sometime good reaction times end up being the byproduct. As soon as I break the trigger and see the front sight start to lift I shift my vision to the next plate and actually see the gun floating to the plate as I hear the first shot hit, and as soon as I see the front sight drift onto the 2nd plate I break the next shot. I've actually learned that FOR ME if I bring my eyes to the top edge of the 2nd plate I can acquire my 2nd sight picture on the center of the plate more consistently than actually bringing my eyes to the center of the plate and trying to line up my eyes the plate and my sights... if that makes sense...

Edited by sloopy70

Sounds like a great awareness and drill.

As mentioned I would work on putting varied targets 10-25 yards out with a wider and varied spacing and we'll see you in the winners circle. I do these type drills often incorporating movement, vision barriers, etc.

• 2 months later...