Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Assessing and valuation of older 550 - newbie

A little background.

Inexperienced reloader. I currently own a 550 configured for 45 ACP (purchased used within the last couple of months)

My brother is an experienced reloader, so he will be giving me plenty of direction, but we haven't had time to do anything yet.

I just picked up a gaggle of reloading equipment from the son of a reloader.

Included are:

550 with 3 conversion kits (38/357, 9mm & 45LC)

only 1 power measure - it is an OLD one - spring return NO rod version

lots of brass in the 3 calibers above

FL 2000 Tumbler

Based on comparison to my existing 550, I know I am missing the following:

Primer pickup & magazine tubes

Primer operating rod - part #13869

It is also the basic 550. IE: no strong mount, no primer early warning, etc.

I also have the original receipt from dillon dated may 87

Overall it appears to be in excellent condition.

Doing a little digging here tells me that the powder measure might be an issue, but some people prefer it...

I only have pistols in 45ACP, so i will probably sell the 550.

I will probably keep the tumbler. Its HUGE!!! :)

So based on my babbling, what else should i look for and what should i price this at or expect it to sell for?

Thanks in advance!

TC

Edited by Thoughtcrime

Do the extra calibers come with the dies as well or just the conversion kits?? How many toolheads and powder dies extra?? The press setup with one conversion kit should sell for around $300 I would think. The other caliber conversion kits $30-40 depending on how bad someone wants it.

Do the extra calibers come with the dies as well or just the conversion kits?? How many toolheads and powder dies extra?? The press setup with one conversion kit should sell for around $300 I would think. The other caliber conversion kits $30-40 depending on how bad someone wants it.

yes, I have 3 full conversion kits.

IE: 3 plates, 3 toolheads, 3 sets of dies, locator buttons for all.

Thanks for the followup!

I would be hesitant to pay $300 for a used possibly incomplete 550b, when i can get a new one in the box for $396 with price increase.

$300 for a $396 press would be a problem, unless it's a Dillon. First, if Dillon even charged you for the missing parts, it'd be near nothing. But since they are Dillon, you'll probably get 'em for free.

Second, if Dillon charged you to do a tune up on your press, you'd probably have to pay almost nothing, but other than shipping it to them, you don't have to pay anything 'cause well...it's Dillon.

Lastly, I am on the list (of many) who prefer the old powder measures and any time you want to get rid of that, say the word.

As for the press...since I don't have a 550 (2-1050's and a 650), any time you want to make it go away, send me a PM.

Rich