Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to reduce recoil?

ExtremeShot

It is either wicked high slide speed, a sharp edged ejector or a combination of both that are making the big dent in the casehead.

With HS-6 I would expect to get into the 190's before I saw flat primers unless the barrel is an AET, they are a different animal and I just don't have enough experience with them to say much more than they are a different animal.

I would guess that the throat in that barrel is a little short. You should have at least .150" and .200" is what I like to see. If it is less I would have it reamed.

I would guess that the throat in that barrel is a little short. You should have at least .150" and .200" is what I like to see. If it is less I would have it reamed.

Did I mention that Virgil Tripp fit the frame/slide/barrel and did the barrel reaming?

Darren, check it anyway. Virgil is a damn fine pistolsmith, but he is also human. Odds are VERY high that the throat as cut by Schuemann is PLENTY deep at between .150-200", but strange things could happen. If the barrel happened to be intended for a 9mm or Super the throat would be short when chambered for Super. Every Schuemann I have seen has had plenty of throat for my intended use right out of the package, but I ALWAYS check.

I went into the mid 190's power factor with a 9mm and HS-6 with no pressure signs and some room left, and that was with 115 grain bullets. If you had pressure in the mid 180's it could be one of two things (most likely), a tight barrel or a short throat. One you can 'fix' and one you can't. Might as well see what you see.

Ditch the HS-6, AA7 is just as nasty but shoots really nicely with a little more gas. Try some N350, N105 (yeah right, finding VV powders is not easy) and some Silhouette. 4756 is a lot cleaner, shoots nice, 7625 is really coming on strong around here with the Super shooters that can't get VV powders anymore.

Darren, check it anyway. Virgil is a damn fine pistolsmith, but he is also human. Odds are VERY high that the throat as cut by Schuemann is PLENTY deep at between .150-200", but strange things could happen. If the barrel happened to be intended for a 9mm or Super the throat would be short when chambered for Super. Every Schuemann I have seen has had plenty of throat for my intended use right out of the package, but I ALWAYS check.

I went into the mid 190's power factor with a 9mm and HS-6 with no pressure signs and some room left, and that was with 115 grain bullets. If you had pressure in the mid 180's it could be one of two things (most likely), a tight barrel or a short throat. One you can 'fix' and one you can't. Might as well see what you see.

Ditch the HS-6, AA7 is just as nasty but shoots really nicely with a little more gas. Try some N350, N105 (yeah right, finding VV powders is not easy) and some Silhouette. 4756 is a lot cleaner, shoots nice, 7625 is really coming on strong around here with the Super shooters that can't get VV powders anymore.

Try some Longshot too, in my Open blaster with a Schuemann barrel 7625 has more recoil and shakes whereas Longshot is quite nice. 7.5 grains, 1.255 OAL makes about 174 PF. Here's a little discussion on it:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50118

Edited by 96Brigadier

ANYONE else curious as to what is causing the large dent at the edge of the cases?

38sprimers2.jpg

Is that from the ejector?

He has a high spot on the breechface causing those lines by the headstamp. The high spot is usually on the ejector side of the breechface. good way to count how many times you have fired your brass, but makes you brass look horrible.