Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giving

carinab

So we had a little Christmas party tonite with a dessert theme. Everyone was supposed to bring goodies since sugar is what fuels the holidays (see the attached picture of a sugar molecule (fructose and glucose).

post-4300-1198388253.jpg

Didn't you know that's why Santa says Ho, Ho, Ho?!

We started at 6pm and by 8pm our tablecloth covered pool table resembled a small bakery with every imaginable treat; three different kinds of fudge, two different kinds of cheese cake, coffee cake, bundt cake, cookies and more cookies, cherry cobbler, all manner of swedish treats - ginger snaps, lussekatts, chocolate balls, cream candy....oh and birthday cake (my hubby surprised me again this year by doing the birthday thing early instead of late - he's a sneaky one!)

By 10pm it was time to clean up. I started breaking out the saran wrap, foil, and freezer bags and just stopped. There was too much to freeze and definitely not enough room in the fridge either. Besides, I really don't need that much temptation. I looked at my husband and said, "What are we going to do with it all? I wish we could give it away." And my brilliant husband said, "We can, let's take it to the fire station."

So we loaded up all the sweets and went to the local fire station (it also happens to be a police substation I learned). I think it was past their bed time as the guy that answered the door definitely had bed head. When I told him my story and asked if they'd be interested in having some sweets, he was kind enough to wait for me to finish my sentence before saying "Heck yeah we'll take it." On the second trip up to the door, a squad car rolled in and a curious cop came up to see what was going on. He promptly was on his radio. I'm guessing there was a second dessert party about to happen!

I got to thinking about it and it's a neat idea. There are always left overs from Christmas dinner. Instead of saving just a couple of portions, how about intentionally making a extra, packaging it up, and taking it down to the police or fire station?

Seeing as the fireman gig is what I do for a living, let me give you a little insight into my world. Our best day at work is when no one needs us. No sick people, no fires. We try to stay in the back of people's minds, out of the way, but ready when you need us.

Something I've found sort of interesting as I've worked all over our city of 210,000 folks. There is one firestation in a predominantly poorer side of town that seems to have the most grateful folks. Sure people show up now & then at all the stations in town with a cake or pie or a thank you card but the folks in the "barrio" side of Lubbock seem to show up more than all the rest just to say "thank you for being here". Sometimes just having someone say "thank you", even if they say it with a pie or cake or whatever is better than any pay raise or newspaper article ever written.

You guys just remember, when you are with your family on Christmas day or New year's eve, there is someone in a fire station just waiting for a call. We are here, we are glad to be ready to serve, but sometimes, just think about us. Perhaps say a prayer if you are of that persuasion, that maybe we won't have to be involved in anything too horrible for words during the holidays so when we get back to our families, we can smile & enjoy our family time as well.

It is really nice when someone thinks about us when it is not an emergency. Thank you Carina, & thank your husband.

MLM

19 years in full time fire service

I am not working this holday, but have for the last 15yrs or so. Thank you from the coppers for the kind spirits that are appreciative and stop to say so. :)

It is Heartwarming, and the look on the rookie's face when it does happen is priceless, and reinforces why he/she took the job...young and old.....

Merry Christmas, everyone

DougC

Edited by DougCarden