Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working the Glock's Sear

bountyhunter

I've been known to make sure that area was cleaned up, polished and true...without changing angles or removing material.

If you don't own an orange cover plate and know why you own it...please step away. ;)

Does an old black one that you modified to do the same thing that the orange one does count? :unsure:

I've noticed something similar in some of my unmodified triggers, so it may be worth a look. Turn the gun upside down and look into the magazine well as the trigger cycles. Pay attention to the feel of the trigger as the post of the trigger bar engages the striker saftey plunger. On mine, you can feel a "stutter" as it rides up the bevel on the plunger. Thats why I put a nice, smooth, very polished radius on it to eliminate the ramp. I originally picked up this trick on one of the forums.

I thought of that. The Sotelo trigger bar has a nice, smooth ramp and I polished it to boot. The plunger in his kit has the edge rounded (looks kind of like a mushroom top) to add to the smooth raising action. It's possible that is part of the creep.

Great, Pharaoh, thank you very much. :cheers:

Now another "easy" question: for competition purposes, how should the angle of the contact/escape surface of the Glock "sear" ideally be, 90 degrees (as it seems to be originally designed), more than this, or less than this? :rolleyes:

That was the whole point of starting the thread... I was trying to find out if people work that the way we work other sears with a primary and secondary cut to get a sharper breaking trigger.

To be honest Demetrio, I could not say...I have never tooled around with this part of the trigger bar. It bears pointing out that the father of competition Glocks, Charlie Vanek, has weighed in on this topic and stated that when he makes a Glock trigger the absolute best that it can be, he does not modify the sear. Nothing wrong with asking good questions, I just feel that you are looking for something that isn't there.
There is clearly "something there". But, I also know why Charlie Vanek would choose not to recommend it:

1) The "sear" and striker are in two different parts (frame and slide respectively) so the vertical slop in the slide/frame fit directly adds to the striker/"sear" fit. In a 1911, all trigger parts are in the frame mounted on pins that don't move with respect to each other.

2) The striker tab and sear don't have a huge overlap area to begin with, dialing it down to fine tune the trigger break is risky.

3) The Glock firing pin blocking safety does not reset on each slide cycle, and it would not be all that difficut to make this thing go full auto just by altering the face angle of the sear.

My question was if anybody used the sear to adjust the trigger release like we do on most other autos.

I guess not.

There is actually something there....Less contact surface between the "sear" and the stiker the crisper and lighter pull....Vanek might not modify that piece and work on other areas (there are many other ways to accomplish the same thing without modifying the "sear") but to say it doesnt do something is wrong

So, think about why one of the top Glock smiths in the country would stay away from that particular modification. Could be a tradeoff in effort/payoff with no incentive to go that way. Could also be that it's a significant safety concern.....

When you start getting really fancy with glock trigger you need to make sure you don't have a lot of play in the slide/frame when in battery. The best glock trigger I've seen has the slide rail peened down right were it engages the rear frame rail so its nice and snug. Take a look at the back of the slide when you pull the trigger, the slide will move down as you pull then pop up when the striker releases. Just minimizing that makes a big difference in feel and makes it more consistent. With very little engagement all polished up and a bit of slide slop you could have yourself a G18!

There is actually something there....Less contact surface between the "sear" and the stiker the crisper and lighter pull....Vanek might not modify that piece and work on other areas (there are many other ways to accomplish the same thing without modifying the "sear") but to say it doesnt do something is wrong

So, think about why one of the top Glock smiths in the country would stay away from that particular modification. Could be a tradeoff in effort/payoff with no incentive to go that way. Could also be that it's a significant safety concern.....

Its called liability scooter simple as that.....If you modify it too much you have a full auto handgun.....Im sure all the top pistol smiths dont want that....Like I said earlier there are other ways to do a trigger job on a glock....I decided to tinker with the sear and ended up with awesome results.....Would I do it again?

No because now I have a glockworx trigger and its the best...

My question was if anybody used the sear to adjust the trigger release like we do on most other autos.

I guess not.

When I started this game (2000), there were people adjusting the Glock with ideas brought from the 1911. They'd reduce the amount of contact the trigger bar made with the striker. Those guns would wear loose and start doubling. :blink:

Like I said earlier there are other ways to do a trigger job on a glock....I decided to tinker with the sear and ended up with awesome results.....Would I do it again?

Hmmm, no, there really aren't a whole lot of ways to clean up a Glock trigger if you want the job to A.) last for more than a few thousand rounds and B.) to be repeatable from gun to gun without having to reinvent the wheel.....

Now, if you're doing a trigger job on one particular gun, and if it's not going to see tens of thousands of rounds, then you might be able to get away with more --- but it's a pretty large risk to take....

ya, I didn't think of this at first, but the slide to frame fit is a crutial part of this equasion. If you have a lot of rise at the rear of the slide during trigger pull, you will have a little creep that you just can't get rid of unless you tighten the slide rails. Novak and Nagel are the best at this, with Nagel being my choice of the two.

Make it a smooth trigger with good reset and just shoot the tar out of it. Messing with the sear and striker foot to get a 1911 trigger isn't worth the potential risk IMO.

Like I said earlier there are other ways to do a trigger job on a glock....I decided to tinker with the sear and ended up with awesome results.....Would I do it again?

Hmmm, no, there really aren't a whole lot of ways to clean up a Glock trigger if you want the job to A.) last for more than a few thousand rounds and B.) to be repeatable from gun to gun without having to reinvent the wheel.....

Now, if you're doing a trigger job on one particular gun, and if it's not going to see tens of thousands of rounds, then you might be able to get away with more --- but it's a pretty large risk to take....

I modded my sear and put plenty of rounds through it with no problem...Like I said earlier of course vanek, glockworks arent going to do it because of play between the slide and the frame is different with every glock and you would have to actually have the gun in your hands to do the work...Why go through the trouble when you can modify the trigger bar, change some springs, and add a set screw to the rear and never have to see the gun.....

There are many methods of modifying the trigger on a glock...Some require a little more patience...I will say though that my modified sear trigger assembly feels damn good...Super smooth for doing the work myself and has been 100% reliable...

Edited by proraptor

I modded my sear and put plenty of rounds through it with no problem...Like I said earlier of course vanek, glockworks arent going to do it because of play between the slide and the frame is different with every glock and you would have to actually have the gun in your hands to do the work...Why go through the trouble when you can modify the trigger bar, change some springs, and add a set screw to the rear and never have to see the gun.....

There are many methods of modifying the trigger on a glock...Some require a little more patience...I will say though that my modified sear trigger assembly feels damn good...Super smooth for doing the work myself and has been 100% reliable...

Care to put a number on plenty of rounds?

It's nice that you can tell me I'm wrong and now you're saying I need the gun to make a better trigger by working on the sear. I've done more to trigger bars than you will ever know and through years of experience all I can say is "grind away on your trigger all you want". Hopefully with what response I've seen on this topic and what others have said they won't do it. If I were a betting person I would have to say doubling or go full auto has been because of the sear being worked on... But since you have another trigger we won't know now.

Care to put a number on plenty of rounds?

I lost count.....I did it to a glock 21 though and that gun was used and abused....Never had a problem...

Edited by proraptor

It's nice that you can tell me I'm wrong and now you're saying I need the gun to make a better trigger by working on the sear. I've done more to trigger bars than you will ever know and through years of experience all I can say is "grind away on your trigger all you want". Hopefully with what response I've seen on this topic and what others have said they won't do it. If I were a betting person I would have to say doubling or go full auto has been because of the sear being worked on... But since you have another trigger we won't know now.

I said from the get go that modding your sear is risky and dangerous...I dont reccomend playing with it unless you know what you are doing and have a lot of time for trial and error. The risk of having the gun double or go full auto is very high. But to say modifying the sear doesnt do anything is straight up wrong. If I started selling modified triggers I wouldnt touch the sear either as the liability would be very high....

I still have my modified stock trigger as glock worx gives you a completely new trigger assembly when you buy their kit. I plan on messing with my modded trigger assembly some more when I have a chance but Im not so sure the glockworx trigger kit will ever leave my glock :wub: