Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 gear

Wasz

If things go to form I'll be buying a SP01 after xmas. I know its a pain to find gear for and more expensive than other options, but I really like the gun. I'd rather shoot the gun I want and work around the other stuff. That said I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get the minimum amount of gear so I can try and shoot. So I'm asking the SP01 shooters an anyone else with any ideas. Holster options, mag holders, mags. Whats cheap and what works? Where can I get it? I'm searching, but it just feels like theres something I'm missing. If you were building a cheap set up what would you be looking for?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Wasz

The cheapest way into Production (cheapest store bought ammo) I'd have to say is with the S&W M&P9. ~$500 gun, $30 holster, $18 double mag pouches, $35 mags (2 free & $50 rebate 'til Jan 31), $40 rear sight, free/cheap trigger jobs and you're set. I'm a CZ clone (Tanfoglio) fan and the M&P is a great feeling and shooting gun. If you're used to SA triggers, it (and the XD) are much easier to get used to than the DA/SA guns (which is why I sold my SP-01 after a few weeks).

But, for the CZ SP-01, you can get into it for only a little bit more, depending heavily on your pickiness about the trigger. Check out www.ghostholster.com for all the goodies - Angus really helps out the CZ crowd in this country.

Holster - you may be able to find something a bit cheaper, but the Blade Tech w/DOH is $65-$70 and is widely considered one of (if not the) best around.

Springs - grab an assortment of main & recoil springs. For most folks, the 15lb main spring is good enough, and has 100% reliability with all ammo. You can try a 13 or cut a few coils off the 15, but you may run into light strikes. You can easily get the DA pull down to ~9-10lbs with the 15lb spring.

Mag holders - not sure about that one. The Uncle Mikes Universal doubles I have for the Tanfoglio are way too big for CZ mags. Try some searching to see what other CZ guys are using and then find a set of double pouches for them. I think even the cheapest injection molded units work just fine, or will at least get you going without breaking the bank. I love my new cheap Blade Tech's for my M&P.

Mags - Mec Gar makes the factory mags for CZ. The SP-01 comes with rubber base pads on them, so if you've got big hands, you might just want to stick to those. The Mec Gar 16 round mags just have the standard flat metal bottom on them, but they are MUCH cheaper $$$...

The SP-01's biggest deficiency's are the trigger and the sights. I polished everything up, tossed in a competition hammer and played with the springs, but the stock trigger return spring is too heavy, which made the SA break too vague. I could not get the DA pull down to less than ~8lbs and really wouldn't see how it's possible. I'm afraid the only real option is to send the gun in (or buy a modded gun directly from) Angus Hobdell or Matthew Mink - Both get awesome reviews from the CZ crowd.

Hope this helps - and don't let me get you down, the SP-01 is definitely a great gun, I just couldn't deal with the trigger (or afford to have the pros look at it)...

-Dave

Edited by Krautwagen

The SP-01 doesn't have a ton of options out there on the market (besides the competition world). That being the case, I really think it's worth it to pick up decent stuff right off the bat. You'll save money from the cheap stuff that you'll want to replace down the road. I'd pick up a Bladetech DOH holster for sure. They aren't the cheapest but they are the best IMO. I use CR speed mag pouches, but there are some alternatives. Check out www.comkydex.com. He makes good quality kydex and his mag pouches (for the CZ 75) are around $20-22 as opposed to $30+ for the CR speeds. Also, www.ghostholster.com as mentioned above is the source for CZ stuff.

Just some ideas.

Also, the CR Speeds have inserts you can take in and out so they'll fit just about any mag. Later on if you get another type of gun you can just swap out the inserts and use the same mag pouches. Yeah, they are high, but you only buy them once.

For a used belt, holster (Blade Tech is a nice one) and mag pouches I would try this forum. There's always E-Bay and some of the other gun related sales sites. Don't forget about the CZ forums....Thats another good source. Angus or Matt Mink are both good sources of parts and answers to questions. Be patient and good deals do come up. I would simply start on this forum under the classifieds and ask about gear for your SP-01. I use a Blade Tech DOH, Safariland pouches & belt for my SP-01's. Be careful though.....Once you handle a Matt Mink or Angus tuned SP-01 your going to be hooked!

if you hang out on the various forums..you can usually pick off some good deals..

spend the money though..and get good gear..your experience will be better..

for mags..go with the MecGar or CZ factory..you should be able to find them in the $20 range. sometimes cheaper..

holster..the BladeTech is the best way to go right now..

pouches..safariland or CR speed..the CR Speed are cool..cause if you switch guns..you can keep your pouches..and switch out the spacers..

as far as the gun goes..its worth the action job..the factory hammer hooks have an angle cut in the that makes the hammer cam..and you can mess the timing a bit if you cut too much off..but it is doable..

couple of things that improve the trigger right off..go to an 13# hammer spring, 11# recoil spring..and bend the trigger spring to pull some of the pressure off of the return..

that will help some until you can send it off to Matt or Angus...

a pretty good deal is that Angus sells one with just the hammer installed..for a decent price..then you can add the rest later..