Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Stake in front sight - Where to Get?

haras

Quick answer. I've never been able to find one. I looked quite extensively a couple of months ago.

I've talked to Millett about their dual crimp sights and the sales rep suggested I keep requesting it from them and maybe they just might make one <_<

ETA: If you have a single stake on sight, you can mill a dovetail right over it. If you have the dual crimp like I do, you can mill the slot but you would be able to see the second hole, which could be filled in and reblue the slide, or just leave it as is.

Edited by kmca

I have made several fiberoptic stake-on front sights. I use a post style front sight and drill a .060 hole through the sight. I then instal the sight and then take the dremel with a 3/8" sanding drum and scallop into the sight from the top to expose the fiber optic to the light. A little cold blue on the scalloped area finishes the job.

The toughest part is drilling the hole straight through the sight. Also be careful when drilling. That deep of a hole with that small of a bit makes it want to load up with chips and can break the bit.

Good luck Dwight Stearns

I have made several fiberoptic stake-on front sights. I use a post style front sight and drill a .060 hole through the sight. I then instal the sight and then take the dremel with a 3/8" sanding drum and scallop into the sight from the top to expose the fiber optic to the light. A little cold blue on the scalloped area finishes the job.

The toughest part is drilling the hole straight through the sight. Also be careful when drilling. That deep of a hole with that small of a bit makes it want to load up with chips and can break the bit.

Good luck Dwight Stearns

Doesn't that sound a lot more difficult than milling a dovetail and using a front sight that someone already makes?

Good luck Dwight Stearns

Doesn't that sound a lot more difficult than milling a dovetail and using a front sight that someone already makes?

Good luck Dwight Stearns

Not if you don't have a milling machine.