Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD-9 won't fire

kmca

I've got a fairly new XD-9. It's got a drop-in trigger kit (can't remember the manufacturer). It will fire factory WWB and UMC ammunition without fail.

It will neither fire my nor a friend of mine's reloads. The reloads were getting a light strike. I've tried CCI, Winchester and Federal primers, none worked.

I've checked that the striker doesn't rub as was suggested before. I've checked the firing pin "tunnel" and it's clear and free of burrs. Does anyone have any thoughts what might be causing my problems?

TIA,

Keith

Sort of weird. All I'm thinking is primer depth on the reloads. Fed. and Winch. primers are not prone to suffer from light strikes. Did the gun come with the trigger kit installed?

Jim M

If it only fails with reloads, have you checked that they are fully seating in the barrel. Are you using the "silver" striker spring or the stock striker spring? PM sent.

Just got off the phone with Scott. Did the "pencil test" and it worked as it should. Checked the striker block again, and it was fine. Scott mentioned it could be the buffer spring....sooooooo...I'm digging through my parts looking for the stock one...THANKS SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!

Keith

Sort of weird. All I'm thinking is primer depth on the reloads. Fed. and Winch. primers are not prone to suffer from light strikes. Did the gun come with the trigger kit installed?

Jim M

No, I installed it myself (with a little help from a few friends).

I've got a fairly new XD-9. It's got a drop-in trigger kit (can't remember the manufacturer). It will fire factory WWB and UMC ammunition without fail.

It will neither fire my nor a friend of mine's reloads. The reloads were getting a light strike. I've tried CCI, Winchester and Federal primers, none worked.

I've checked that the striker doesn't rub as was suggested before. I've checked the firing pin "tunnel" and it's clear and free of burrs. Does anyone have any thoughts what might be causing my problems?

TIA,

Keith

Reduced power striker spring is failing to ignite stiff primers.

Either that, or the primers are not fully seated.

Edited by bountyhunter

If it only fails with reloads, have you checked that they are fully seating in the barrel. Are you using the "silver" striker spring or the stock striker spring? PM sent.

Just got off the phone with Scott. Did the "pencil test" and it worked as it should. Checked the striker block again, and it was fine. Scott mentioned it could be the buffer spring....sooooooo...I'm digging through my parts looking for the stock one...THANKS SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!

Keith

The buffer spring (which resists the forward motion of the striker) should have been tested when you dry fired the pencil or pen out the barrel.... and, you said that went OK.

BTW: the buffer spring that came in your trigger kit is likely weaker than stock, so it should not be reducing striker force.

Edited by bountyhunter

Keith

The buffer spring (which resists the forward motion of the striker) should have been tested when you dry fired the pencil or pen out the barrel.... and, you said that went OK.

BTW: the buffer spring that came in your trigger kit is likely weaker than stock, so it should not be reducing striker force.

I don't know...the buffer spring was Scott's idea. He said that the only problem they've seen was because of it. He also said that he was getting some new springs in for testing and would send me one when he's done. I hope he finishes soon because I can't find the stock one :angry2:

Just double checked the primers on my reloads. They're flush with the bottom.

Jim M

No, I installed it myself (with a little help from a few friends).

Scott's on to it I believe. The XD can function with a defective and get this, missing buffer spring, just badly. Mr Springer (Scott) is the XD guy, he'll get you up and running quick.

Jim M