Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Magwell And Para

profjim

I'm looking for some advice/direction/help on this question. I have a Para 16-40 with a Dawson Magwell. None of my high cap mags with Arrendondo or Grams basepads will lock in place. The mag I have with a Dawson basepad works. Do I need to replace the Dawson magwell or ????? HELP!

I filed the tops of my Gramms basepads to make them fit. That was a loser. The grams pads split and I had to pay $15 to replace the part that split. Beven suggested I alter the magwell and not the pad. I did not go down that path since the gun had other issues and I sold it.

-ld

You need to use the Dawson basepads with the Dawson well......the good news is that they are the easiest to use (on and off for cleaning)....the bad news is that you'll have to spend more money. I think, in the long run, you'll like them better than anything you're using now. Just about everybody in our area uses them.....and those that don't, wish they did....

Good luck.

WRanger

No the ice will not allow you to use grams, it will still only work with dawson base pads. I have both magwells for my p16-40 and the mags with the dawson pads actually fit tighter in the ice. Due to this I went back to the all metal magwell from dawson. I like it better.

congratulations you have real pre-ban mags. i had the same problem with a new gunsmith frame kit i traded for. i already had 5 preban mags and got a dawson magwell for the frame so that i didn't have to cut the frame for a S&A. 1 of the mags would work but 4 would not. i called dawson and they were very helpful, but short of buying newer replacement tubes there was no fix except to mill out the magwell to accept the mags and basepads. by the way did i mention i bought the dawson magwell so that i wouldn't have to mill on the bottom of the frame.pre-ban mags are about .030 inch longer than replacement tubes from para. the sti tubes are plenty long enough to use most any base pad you want. hope this helps. j.l. hardy