Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

220grn Precision Loads

rugerp89ipsc

I usually shoot 180ies; however, I received about 1k 220grn precision bullets and wanted to work up a steel load with them. I was not sure where to start on the powder, does anyone have suggestions or load data from one of their old loads that might guid e me? I am currently shooting 180 grn precision bullets with 4.0 grns of 320N and like the way the load shoots a lot.

Also, I have not seen 220grns used much, is there a problem with using them, ie case bulging or pressure problems?

Thanks for the info.

Edited by rugerp89ipsc

Finding steel loads for a bullet that heavy in .40 might be tough.

I shot 3.0 gr N-320 and Precision 220 at Area 4 on year and that made exactly 165 power factor.

Length was 1.160".

Thanks for the heads up. I thought it might pose a problem, but with the cost of bb s right now, I thought I should use them anyways. Did you have any problems with the case bulging? I have been loading my 180grns out to 1.19.

I have never used the 220 grain forty, didn't even know that they made them, I have shot the 200 grain Precision, though. For minor I used a lead bullet load from the Winchester loading catalog. It called for 3.0 grains of WW 231 at 700 fps. It shoots very soft and has a 140 pf. I have run them in a Glock 22, 24, and my STI Edge. Great for steel!

You could cut the powder charge and see how your pistol functions and go from there.

Good luck, Buddy

Yeah, I was thinking about starting somewhere around 2.5 grns of 320N and working up from there. Correct me if I am wrong, but the pf in relation to the powder and bullet weight is exponential, not linear, making setting up a ratio unreliable. Is that right?

To be frank, I don't have a chrono and have pretty much been using the same 2 loads since I started shooting back in 2002, so I have a pretty limited knowledge base for breaking out new loads.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

2.5 grains might be o.k., especially loading long. It would really help if you could find someone with a chrono to hook up with. Even the basic models can give you plenty of information and avoid the guessing game.

You are right that you can't assume a linear change in pressures and velocities when working up a load. To many variables in barrels, brass, and loading componants. I think you're safe in assuming a general trend up or down, but by how much is really a wild ass guess without a chrono.

Let us know what you come up with.

2.5 grains might be o.k., especially loading long. It would really help if you could find someone with a chrono to hook up with. Even the basic models can give you plenty of information and avoid the guessing game.

You are right that you can't assume a linear change in pressures and velocities when working up a load. To many variables in barrels, brass, and loading componants. I think you're safe in assuming a general trend up or down, but by how much is really a wild ass guess without a chrono.

Can do. I did some researching and found a load with precision moly 220grn loaded with 3.8grns N320 with an oal of 1.185 getting 177 pf. I have loaded mine out to 1.19 and am currently starting at 3.0grns of N320. I think I am going to just break down and buy myself a cheapy chrono for xmas early and will be sure to update on what my load is. Thanks for all the help guys.

Brownell's has one (chronograph) for just under a hundred dollars that does everything you would probably want. It is the safe highway to take when developing loads. Someone could give you information and make a mistake or a misprint. I don't have to tell you what could happen.

N-320 is probably a good powder to try. Using 320 in my Edge, loaded to major, I can take the spent cases and put them in a case gauge without any problem. Apparently the cases are not receiving the stress as with other powders.

Good Luck, Buddy

Edited by buddy_fuentes

Can do. I did some researching and found a load with precision moly 220grn loaded with 3.8grns N320 with an oal of 1.185 getting 177 pf. I have loaded mine out to 1.19 and am currently starting at 3.0grns of N320. I think I am going to just break down and buy myself a cheapy chrono for xmas early and will be sure to update on what my load is. Thanks for all the help guys.

I have a basic Chrony unit that I don't use anymore. Think they are about $65 new. Used maybe 3 times. Would sell it to you if you are interested

Many IPSC shooters and other re-loaders have used Jeff's reloading data for years. Just remember, using Jeff's or anyone else's data has its risk. Always start lower than called for and increase with caution. Misprints and misinformation could be catastrophic. Many of the listed loads are very stout.

If you can find any data on e-3 it may prove to be a great load. A friend has been using it and it is very clean and consistent.

Good Luck, Buddy

Yeah, I learned the scary way not to trust other people's loads. I had a brand new 686 w/ 8 3/8" barrel, but no ammo. Took the wife and went out to her grandparents with her dad. My father in law had some ammo his friend loaded. Loaded up, bang bang bang BOOM (think it might have been a double charge). The cylinder locked up and my pucker factor was at full. Luckily the gun was not damaged and no other person's ammo ever went through that gun again.

I will keep everyone up dated. I have a chrono coming my way next pay period and I will post up all my loads I have been curious about. I the load I posted up for steel. It shoots light, but is not so light that bumping it up to major is going to screw up my ipsc game (not that I currently have much game).

Thanks guys.

The problem with super light loads is that you run into the risk of detonation because of excessive air-space in the case. Cowboy shooters had a LOT of problems with it in the past, blowing up 45 Long Colts with regularity. Another problem that could arise is very inconsistent loads. The loading density (again a measure of powder volume versus case volume) will be very low, which can lead to horrible accuracy. On "Outer Limits", you can't afford any accuracy problems.

On the competitive side, the reason I would not use 220s is because at Steel Load velocities, they are going so slow that you won't hear the "dings" quick enough. (BANG, pause, pause, pause, clunk)

(BANG, pause, pause, pause, clang)

This just brought up a little movie in my head, too funny. I will normally use 180s, but I got quite a few 220s for free and want to use them. I have a crazy scheudue right now and am basically out of the ipsc game for a while, but setting up a steel stage for a random wednesday afternoon is cake. So not too terribly worried about being competitive at the moment, just wanting a decent load and some practice ammo.

• 3 weeks later...