Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye or 700x for 38 & 44 special ?

bgs307

New to reloading...Doing the research before I get started..I have a Dillon 650 onb the way.

My question is, for getting started, which would you use ?? 700X or Bullseye or ????

I will begin loading with 125g FP bullets on the 38 and then will go to 200g FP on the 44 spec.

Just looking for some experienced remarks.

Thanks,

Brad

They're both good for light loads but just that....light. They're both a little too fast for pushing higher velocities, esp. Bullseye. As I recall 700X was a little dirtier than most...more modern powders seem to burn a little cleaner.

Ok...maybe I should have asked what some of your favorite loads are for the 38 ????

I mostly want target loads but also would like some heaier hitting loads... & YES, I have a dcouple loading manuals...but I would like to hear from actual real live people LOL.

Brad

Bullseye is pretty smokey too, but it's been accurate with full wadcutters for me.

I buy red dot for $50/4 lbs from my club, so I'm kind of married to it. I use it for 158 raniers/short colt cases, 148 wadcutters in 38 spl, and 158 jhp's in .357 cases for a midrange load. Some of the other revo shooters are using clays. w231 and titegroup will work also.

I haven't had luck with the slower powders listed, probably because of the low pressure, so I just use .357. use the fast powders in .357 for a midrange load, instead of slow power in .38.

I've never loaded .44, but I imagine it runs about the same.

what are you using the ammo for? that will narrow down the suggestions.

Brad - We don't know what you'll be using the ammo you want to produce for. If it's just plinking, both will do fine.

I'd go with Bullseye. It flows through the powder measure much better than 700X, due to the way it's made.

Brad: almost all of the .38 special ammo that I have loaded with Bullseye powder was 148 grain hollow base wadcutters, 2.7 to 2.8 grains Bulleye powder, Federal Small Pistol Primers (#100) in mixed brass. This is one of the "classic" target/PPC type loads, producing around 775 to 800 FPS from a 6" S&W Model 14, and a custom PPC revolver with a 6" Douglas barrel.

My reloading notes show that I have tried the following with a 125 grain Zero jacketed hollowpoint bullet:

4.4 grains Bullseye powder

Federal Small Pistol Primers (#100)

mixed brass

980 FPS from a 6" S&W Model 686 revolver

comments: flattened primers (indicating high pressure BUT Federal primers are softer then some other brands, so this is not an absolute sign)

As always, YMMV.

I assume you are loading lead bullets. Both Bullseye and HS-700X work well with lead bullets in 38 Special and 44 Special. They are a bit smokey when compared to American Select. Another great powder for lead bullets is Trail Boss - very slightly sooty but low perceived recoil and virtually no possibility of a double charge.

Edited by TonyT