Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Tracking

Olin Broke

Hello:

I've gotten to the point that I'm starting to track the front sight on my Glock 34. About 30% of the time the front sight tracks straight up and down which is good. The rest of the time I loose the front sight about half way up and/or it comes down in front of the rear sight on the left or right side and can not be seen until I reposition it back in the rear sight notch. Is my grip causing this? any and all suggestion would be appreciated.

Other Info:

Production Division

124 grain plated

4.5 grain WSF

WSP Primers

Mixed brass

PF-128-132

Welcome to forum. I shoot up in Alamogordo, at least I will when I'm done with this deployment.

Please get Brians book, http://www.brianenos.com/store/books.html it has a lot of good information.

It does sound like your grip to me. Basically you want to grip the side panels with the strong hand and the front and rear with the weakhand.

this artical is great

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/combatg_100306/

Hope to see you at the matches this spring. Welcome again.

Olin

I'm not an instructor but I'll tell you what I've found in my own efforts to track that front sight. I had/have the same problem. When I draw, I was moving the gun to my mid line while getting my support hand placed and then into full extension. That's where my problem lay. I've found that if I hold the piece in retention directly under my dominant eye and extend 9 times out of 10 I've got proper horizontal alignment. Please remember, that the solution to MY problem and may not solve yours.

SouthCentral

Olin

I'm not an instructor but I'll tell you what I've found in my own efforts to track that front sight. I had/have the same problem. When I draw, I was moving the gun to my mid line while getting my support hand placed and then into full extension. That's where my problem lay. I've found that if I hold the piece in retention directly under my dominant eye and extend 9 times out of 10 I've got proper horizontal alignment. Please remember, that the solution to MY problem and may not solve yours.

SouthCentral

SouthCentral:

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to order Brain's book as North suggested. My initial shots are in the "A/B's". The follow-ups are what I'm having trouble with.

I bring the gun up to my solarplexis (sp) where it meets with my weak hand. Together they push the gun onto the target at eye level.

If you sights do not track straight up and down it can be caused by your grip pressure. If the sight is left of the center try to lighten your left hand grip, if right reduce the right hand grip. This may or may not be what is causing your problem but it is a good place to start.

Grips are such a personal thing...everyones hands are diff. You mentioned the 34...if you have not already a 13# ISMI recoil spring is the norm with 135PF ish loads. It was a load of diiference for me. If you have already done this then never mind. Don't be afraid to experiment with diff # springs everyone has a favorite for thier gun and load. Hope this may help.