Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting at dusk helps with accuracy and calling shots

mike cyrwus

I normally finish up a range session with some 30+yd. group shooting. Its was getting late a few days ago, my fiber optic front sight was about as dark as a normal blade. While I shot, I noticed that the muzzle blast lit the sight picture up like a strobe light, burning it into my retina. I would take that image, already superimposed on the target and was able to call my shots better than I ever have before. It was like I put blinders on, hiding all but the hammer drop (blast) and the sights.

My group was exceptionally tight also, which Im sure came from my new found awareness of the target/sight picture relationship. (duh!)

What I called as low right was a 2inch "flyer" which was still well within the A zone.

The lesson learned for me:

It is possible to "see" more, and reach a higher state of awareness.

Sometimes, our eyes need to be dulled in order to see how hard we can push their acuity.

Hope this helps some of you.

Quite normal because the pupil expands in low light allowing increased clarity. Skeet, trap & bullseye shooters have been doing this for ages through the use of blinders. I have often thought about trying this in practice because when I try to snap the eyes they tend to go out of focus as they pick up the frame & edge of the corrective lens. Perhaps some dryfire this winter with blinders is what I need to train the head to move first instead of tracking over the top of the gun.