Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first IPSC match this weekend

Gendaito

So I shot my first IPSC match this weekend. I've done some other shooting events before, like Speed Steel and Practical Rifle, so I generally knew what to expect. It was a lot of fun, although it rained all day. It's hard to tape up targets in the rain. The plastic covers that protect the cardboard from the rain make it hard to tape.

I shot Production with my Glock 19, which is probably not ideal but was still fun. One thing I noticed is that I need to work on reloading, especially since I've gotten used to the H&K mag release (where I can use my trigger finger to depress the release). On the Glock, my hands are too small to allow me to hit the mag release with my stronghand thumb without shifting my grip. Maybe I should use my supporthand thumb, but I haven't practiced that. Also, my fingers don't work as well in the cold, so that probably cost me a few seconds here and there fumbling with stuff.

In addition to my Glock 19, I had a Bladetech kydex holster (not DOH) and 2 double mag carriers (Bladetech and a cheap Fobus). On one stage with a minimum 32 rd count, I shot all 5 mags I had and had one target on the texas star left! Nothing sucks more than sitting there with the slide locked back and out of mags. 10rd max forces a lot of mag changes, which is fun so I don't mind.

I think I'll continue to shoot with this setup until I decide I want to get new gear. I'm reasonably happy with the Glock 19, although a G34/G35 might work out better. The Bladetech worked great, so I'll probably stick with that.

As far as stages go, I think I like pepper poppers the best, and no-shoots the least. I had more than a few no-shoots. I probably tried to shoot too fast on several stages but that's what makes it fun, right? Maybe next time I'll slow down a little more.

Anyway, I had a great time despite the crappy weather and I'm hoping to shoot more. Thanks to the match director and ROs at TCGC in Oregon for all their hardwork in setting up the match.

Welcome!

Sounds like you have a good plan....don't bother buying too much until you really know what you want/need. The only thing I'd suggest is that at the next match, walk (briskly) through the stage and try to shoot two A's on every target and forget about the time. You'd be surprised, but that usually works pretty well. R,

Welcome!

Sounds like you have a good plan....don't bother buying too much until you really know what you want/need. The only thing I'd suggest is that at the next match, walk (briskly) through the stage and try to shoot two A's on every target and forget about the time. You'd be surprised, but that usually works pretty well. R,

Perfect advice - as usual.

I'm in the same boat. Started in L/L10, then went looking to go to production - after buying and trying a few different guns, I'm now back to sticking to L/L10 and a few hundred bucks lighter in the wallet.

As far as stages go, I think I like pepper poppers the best, and no-shoots the least. I had more than a few no-shoots. I probably tried to shoot too fast on several stages but that's what makes it fun, right? Maybe next time I'll slow down a little more.

I love that - I had more than a few no-shoots wreck what would have been some darn good stages :angry2:

Practice going slow. You'll need a knowledgeable friend or a timer to go with you though. Whenever I do it, I feel like I am super slow, but other folks & timers say 'that was just as fast as before'...

One cheap but worthwhile piece of gear - the DOH bracket. You can order it from BladeTech with either the SR loop or TecLok for about $15.

If you're young, athletic, and have great vision let me offer some valuable advise:

Go as absolutely fast as humanly possible!

Points are over rated!

Don't pay attention to the rest of the squad watching you!

Learn to point shoot, all the Big Dawgs do it.

Just kidding regarding the above, welcome to the best sport/game in the world! :cheers: