Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to buy? S&W 327 JM or 627 Revolver?

PistolPete

I'm thinking of getting a revolver. I previously had a 627 and I loved it. That is the one gun I regret ever selling. I've been looking at some of these sexy wheelguns and have been debating about getting another one. I just figured I would get another 627 but when looking at the S&W website I noticed the JM 327. This seems like a pretty sweet gun. Which gun do you think is better and why?

I know I'm going to get asked what the purpose of the gun will be so I'll explain. I'm just looking for something to mess around with and maybe shoot some local steel matches with. I won't be shooting USPSA with it as I'm mainly an open shooter.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

170269a_lrg.jpg

This one Pete???? :)

I prefer the 627 http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegory_rn=15714

You just missed two nice ones.

The 627 will hold up and you liked it so why change??

For "messing around and some local steel" you will probably be fine with a 327 but if you decide to shoot MPF loads, the 327 will beat you up and will beat the gun up.

Gary

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I briefly considered the 327. VERY briefly. In my opinion, lightweight frames and polygonal rifling have no place on any kind of revolver let alone a service revolver. And this has both. Supposed to be "carried a lot and shot a little?" Really? I'm supposed to shoot a gun "a little" and then stake my life on it? Sorry, don't think so.

Dave Sinko

I was thinking of getting this one:

170254_large.jpg

I'm glad I asked in the revolver forum. I didn't realize it was "that" light. I can appreciate a heavier gun for any type of shooting. I guess I'm going to have another 627 in my safe.

Thanks,

Pete

Four Seasons has a 627 listed on their web site.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Good choice on the 627,soon you'll have a yearning for a 625, then a 610 then maybe a .38super(686 or 627),that's how the addiction starts with a simple turn of the wheel. (pun intended) :cheers:

Oh ,welcome to the revolution.

Scott

Come on down to the next MRA steel shoot Dec. 9th, I'm sure there will be a few 8 shots

around for you to check out.

Don't know anybody yet that has one of the light weight 327's,

Asked Jerry M at the Florida Steel Challenge what he thought of them (he was shooting

an open one and a stock one like you posted) and he said he did like them but they

were very different than the steel versions, he mentioned they were more snappy

but moved quicker from target to target. (these are steel challenge loads btw)

Couple of the guys are looking at the 327 RGS posted, maybe one of those will be there

come Dec. 9th. :)

Come on down to the next MRA steel shoot Dec. 9th, I'm sure there will be a few 8 shots

around for you to check out.

Don't know anybody yet that has one of the light weight 327's,

Asked Jerry M at the Florida Steel Challenge what he thought of them (he was shooting

an open one and a stock one like you posted) and he said he did like them but they

were very different than the steel versions, he mentioned they were more snappy

but moved quicker from target to target. (these are steel challenge loads btw)

Couple of the guys are looking at the 327 RGS posted, maybe one of those will be there

come Dec. 9th. :)

I have one of the 5" 327's and really like it, even more than the 627. The action on mine was excellent from the box. It shoots great. Recoil is "different" from the 627. Not more or less, just different. Very quick to move target to target. I put about 6,000 rds thru it now with no problems at all. I used it with the red fiber front sight but switched it over to the brass bead sight. Awesome gun that I will never sell!