Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tightgroup and temp change?

tk4

I know that with tightgroup as temp goes up so does the velocity, but how much. I chronoed at 161 pf at around 50 to 55 degrees. What should I expect the same load to be at 80 or 90 degrees?

I know that with tightgroup as temp goes up so does the velocity, but how much. I chronoed at 161 pf at around 50 to 55 degrees. What should I expect the same load to be at 80 or 90 degrees?

Let's not forget you are asking for a "guesstimate", but I would say about 170-178

I went thru this last spring, I was testing at about 55-62 degrees, and was at 169 PF and then went to 183 at a match when the temperature was about 80 - 83 degrees.

YMMV

Surely, it couldn't possibly be that much or no one would use it. You would get huge swings in your load at a big match depending on whether you hit the chrono stage at 8:30 in the morning or 2 pm. You had to have had some other variables that caused that much difference. Maybe your chrono or theirs was off. Is that possible?

Surely, it couldn't possibly be that much or no one would use it. You would get huge swings in your load at a big match depending on whether you hit the chrono stage at 8:30 in the morning or 2 pm. You had to have had some other variables that caused that much difference. Maybe your chrono or theirs was off. Is that possible?

OF COURSE it is possible. I was just giving you MY results.

I went the other way, worked up a load in 70* weather at 173, checked it in the mid 80's and it went 181, dropped into the upper 50's at a major match and I BARELY made major with 165.1 power factor. That was the LAST match I shot TG in, and the last match I will shoot TG in. FWIW, I was shooting a 40. TG also put a wicked amount of heat into the gun, far worse than any other common 40 powder I have ever used. It isn't as clean as some of the alternatives, puts a ton of heat in the gun, and has nasty swings with temperature. I honestly can't understand why anyone would use it.

I now run Clays, and it will go down to 172 at 45* and up to 177 at 95*. I can live with that. Clays isn't for everyone in major 40, but it is far and away better in minor 9, minor 40 and major 45.