Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arkansas gun law ?

The file you can't read lists those states where it is believed to be OK to carry loaded in your vehicle while passing through. Arkansas is not listed, so maybe you should unload and store it at the state line.

Also, you can download the free version of Acrobat Readed from Adobe here.

Happy trails...

I went to Arkansas to visit my folks a few years back. I was curious about the gun laws. Went down to the local PD and asked the question. The old cop looked at me, said "Where ya from?" I said, "Texas." "Laws'r 'bout the same, reckon. Take it easy." and ambled off to take care of something else. Had no problems.

L

Call the Arkansas St. Police. Ask them. Get the name and Badge/Employee number of the person you speak with no matter what the answer is. If you get pulled over just give the information of who you spoke with and what they said. I'm from just outside of Little Rock and every Cop in Arkansas has a different opinion on the matter so take back up.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

ARKANSAS GUN LAWS

ARKANSAS FIREARM LAWS GENERALLY

I want to travel across Arkansas and I would like to carry my handgun for my personal safety while I am traveling. How may I legally carry my handgun?

The following is the Arkansas law concerning carrying a weapon.

Arkansas Code Annotated §5-73-120. Carrying a weapon. (a) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to employ the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person. ( B) As used in this section:

(1) "Club" means any instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious physical injury or death by striking, including a blackjack, billie, and sap;

(2) "Handgun" means any firearm with a barrel length of less than twelve inches (12") that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one (1) hand; and

(3)(A) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing.

( B) "Knife" includes a dirk, sword or spear in a cane, razor, ice pick, throwing star, switchblade, and butterfly knife.

© It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that at the time of the act of carrying a weapon:

(1) The person is in his or her own dwelling, place of business, or on property in which he or she has a possessory or proprietary interest;

(2) The person is a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or member of the armed forces acting in the course and scope of his or her official duties;

(3) The person is assisting a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or member of the armed forces acting in the course and scope of his or her official duties pursuant to the direction or request of the law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or member of the armed forces;

(4) The person is carrying a weapon when upon a journey, unless the journey is through a commercial airport when presenting at the security checkpoint in the airport or is in the person's checked baggage and is not a lawfully declared weapon; (a journey is defined as traveling beyond your circle of neighbors and general acquaintances our outside a person's normal travel routine)

(5) The person is a licensed security guard acting in the course and scope of his or her duties;

(6) The person is hunting game with a handgun that may be hunted with a handgun under rules and regulations of the Arkansas State Game and Fish Commission or is en route to or from a hunting area for the purpose of hunting game with a handgun;

(7) The person is a certified law enforcement officer; or

(8) The person is in a motor vehicle and the person has a license to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to § 5-73-301 et seq.

(d)(1) Any person who carries a weapon into an establishment that sells alcoholic beverages is guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine of not more than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) or imprisonment for not more than one (1) year, or both.

(2) Otherwise, carrying a weapon is a Class A misdemeanor.

ARKANSAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSES

What advantage is there to having an Arkansas concealed handgun license? If you have a valid Arkansas concealed handgun license, you may purchase a firearm at a federal firearms licensed dealer without having to undergo a NICS check at the point of purchase.

Arkansas also has concealed carry reciprocity with certain other states that will allow you to carry in those states while visiting.

What is the process for getting my permit?

You must complete the application packet. The packet can usually be obtained from an instructor as listed on our website. The instructors may also provide the necessary fingerprint cards as well. You would complete the training course, send the packet and money to ASP.

Where can I pick up forms for a concealed handgun permit? You can pick one up at State Police Headquarters at I-30 and Geyer Springs Road (exit 133),

Little Rock or any local troop headquarters. All concealed handgun instructors have application forms and usually will give you the form and assist you in completing it if you take their class.

What type of background checks are done for my concealed handgun license?

The Arkansas State Police performed a name based check through the Arkansas Crime Information Center (ACIC), the Interstate Identification Index (III) and the National Instant Check System (NICS). The fingerprint card is forwarded to the FBI and they perform a nationwide fingerprint based search.

How long does it take to get my handgun permit?

It depends on your criminal history and the quality of the fingerprints submitted. If you do not have a criminal history or any kind, the process will take a week longer than it takes to get the FBI results back (Usually 4-6 weeks). The process may also be delayed if your fingerprints are not of high enough quality to be accepted y the FBI. If your fingerprints are rejected an additional submission time (4-6 weeks) would be necessary.

If you do have a criminal history it may take longer to obtain dispositions or review the arrest or conviction information in the file. . If any further information about your charges is needed then ASP will send you a letter specifically outlining what you need to obtain.

I need a list of instructors in my county. See our State Police website under "Safety Instructors"

How much is the training classes? The cost of classes varies per instructor. You would need to check with the instructor for a price.

Do I need to take a training class again when renewing my license? You must take a refresher training class prior to renewal.

My current concealed handgun license is about to expire, what do I need to do? Contact a concealed handgun instructor and take the training class. The instructor will give you the renewal form to complete. Prior to your expiration date, mail the training certificate, renewal application and $55.00 to the Arkansas State Police, Concealed Handgun Licensing Section, 1 State Police Plaza Drive, Little Rock, AR 72209

I have an Arkansas concealed handgun license how do I transport my concealed handgun across non-reciprocal states?

It is suggested that you call a law enforcement agency in that state and ask as to the applicable laws in that state.

My name has changed from the name that is on my permit, what do I need to do? Fill out the ASP-40 CON and either e-mail or regular mail it to the

Arkansas State Police, Concealed Handgun Licensing Section, 1 State Police Plaza Drive, Little Rock, AR 72209.

My address has changed, what do I need to do? Fill out the ASP-40 COA and e-mail or regular mail it to the Arkansas State Police, Concealed Handgun Licensing Section, 1 State Police Plaza Drive, Little Rock, AR 72209

Edited by Bigbadaboom