Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Pistola disappeared Into Never Never Land

ChrisStock

I recently had one of my pistols have a major malfunction as in it began to disassemble itself during practice. Sear, springs, trigger group, everything came out due to oversized rollpin slots. I had been having severe accuracy problems with it, sights falling off in the dirt (poorly cut slots), etc. and so forth. I finally bit my tongue and called in to the manufacturer and explained what all was going on, and received an RMA to return it to the factory with the possibility of them flat out replacing it with a new one.

A few weeks go by, and not wanting to be a d$%k, I called and politely left a voicemail inquiring as to the status of my pistol repair. 3 days go by and no reply, so I call again. Off into voicemail land I wander..leaving messages for 2 different folks that had been involved in the RMA process. 2 more days go by, and no reply, so I let the hounds of hell loose on them (namely , my wife).

She somehow yanked the right chain and got the number of someone who wanted to help immediately, and put me in touch with him. As it turns out, neither of the original 2 reps that I had dealt with made any notations on WHY the pistol was being returned, so the warranty group just left it on the shelf in the repair shop untouched. ^%$#@!! (Like I'm just going to forget about it?) No attempt was made to contact me whatsoever, but I was told, and I quote "we were going to send you a letter later this week asking as to why you sent it in". Mindboggling. They paid for overnight deliver by 10:30 AM shipping to their repair center and I can't imagine it was cheap.

I suppose the fact that the frame and slide were the only recognizable parts in the ziplock baggie that the pistol was in was not a big enough clue that something was awry. The myriad of springs, pins, and miscellaneous parts neatly collected into a ziplock were not indicative of it's self-disassembly problem.

I can't wait to see what happens now. I give them a week to remove their collective heads from their collective hind ends or I'll let the wife loose on them for entertainment and information purposes. She is a Jersey devil (my grandmother might roll over in her grave at the thought of me with a YANKEE) and has one hellaciously sharp bite. As long as her fireworks are used for legitimate purposes, I say let it fly (as long as I'm not on the receiving end). :unsure:

This pistol WAS my CCW of choice and was going to be my backup when I made my run in production. I'll find something else at this point, and when it returns, it will be sold.

Ok...rant over.. I feel much better.

Edited by Lighteye67

Keep us posted. This case has me intrigued. <_<

It's seems I hear about either exceptionally GOOD service from manufacturers/vendors or exceptionally BAD service. Not much in between. (Or no one's mentioning the in-between kind, I dunno). Still, this is interesting...

Another day goes by and they mysteriously found the RMA sheet. I guess I should have put it inside the case with the pistol instead of taped to the top. If that were only the cause of the problem. I called them again today for an update and was not allowed to speak to the 'smith working on it today, but was told by a rep that it should be done "soon". I asked for an explanation of "soon" and was told 2 weeks. [edit] All I can say to them is that is NOT how you recover a fumble.

I'll post an update when I have more concrete news on this. Per forum rules, I won't slam the manufacturer by name here, but it is available privately lest you fall into the trap.

Off to load ammo for tomorrow's practice...[edit]

Edited by Flexmoney

• 2 weeks later...
Keep us posted. This case has me intrigued. <_<

It's seems I hear about either exceptionally GOOD service from manufacturers/vendors or exceptionally BAD service. Not much in between. (Or no one's mentioning the in-between kind, I dunno). Still, this is interesting...

As you requested...

I got it back today from the manufacturer. No notes whatsoever on what was done, and from appearances, all that was done was to reassemble it with a new trigger spring and trigger assembly rollpins. I lubed it after inspection and took it to the range to see how it would run.

I experienced the EXACT same issues that I sent it in for minus the rollpins dislodging. Misfeeds with 3 different loads, and decent groups were impossible, even from the bench using the vise I borrowed. It did however shoot consistently 3-4" left at 10 yards. It was very capable when new of producing sub 2" groups easily, but now it is a write-off. I was very conscious of breathing, trigger control, and flawless sight pictures, but it was to no avail.

I did shoot off 50 or so out of my other 9MM I had, and ripped one ragged hole in the target to make myself feel better.

Lesson learned....sticking with known platforms instead of the dark horse approach.

I have a really honest and reliable FFL/Gunsmith here in Eugene... he's torqued a few of my guns (and the guns of ALL my shooting buddies) and his reputation is 100%. If you're determined to fix this pistol, PM me with the type and problems and I'll contact him--and show him this thread as well. This guy is also an ace shooter. Really seems to know his stuff.

He'll be honest with me (and you) as to whether he can handle the task or wants to. :)

I had to remove a few posts here. And, I am going to good ahead and close this thread. We were getting too close to the forum rules. Nmaely:

Hate rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, the NRA, or Match Directors - are NOT PERMITTED.

CLOSED.