Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Three Gun

Shot the Texas 3 gun last weekend and had a great time while meeting a lot of nice folks. I don't do much 3 gun (but will in the future) and ending up shooting 3 guns I'd never used in competition. A few thoughts after the fact.....

The match required 28 slugs with one stage a 24 round event over 4 suspension bridges. I added am Aimpoint to my Benelli a couple of weeks before the match and am glad I did. The dot slayed these targets, was no problem on the steel or the 2 arial targets.

My AR had a 3x9 Leupold mounted and I debated on changing to a Holosight. The rifle stages totalled around 130 rounds or so with half being inside 25 yds and the longest shots being paper IPSC targets at 200. In retrospect, I feel I could have done a little better with the Holosight as far as target aquisition with acceptable accuracy on the longer distances.

Any thoughts from others who were there?

Congrats to Kelly N. and Don Bednorz on their 1st place finishes.

Mike Finch

Midland, TX

Team Sidearmor

Leadheads Bullets

Mike,have to agree with you on this match. These folks have a WELL DONE comeing. Ive been to San Angelo before and always enjoyed shooting there. I hope this comes off as a annual event, I will go back. Really good weather sat, good old west tx wind and dust sun, just puts more challenge to it. Glad you hag fun. Larry

It was a good match. I enjoyed both the stages and the atmosphere. I loved the Boy Scouts helping set and taping targets. The rifle stages required both speed and accuracy and the shotgun stages were well rounded (although I'm not a fan of all slug stages) . Guy Hawkins just creamed all the other limited rifle shooters. Don put on his customary excellent performance. I liked the Ms. Hattie stage w/ all the movers, beartraps etc. I could have shot that stage 10 times.

I think a Holosight would have been ideal for that match.

I learned that the .260 can really put up a ton of west Texas dirt when shooting prone. I definitely would have preferred an AR (or some grass) for Stage 10. I could not see those 200 yard targets after the first couple of shots, but that did not keep me from shooting at them.

I'd definitely return.

Glad you liked Ms. Hattie's...that was one of the stages I came up with. I blame it, of course, on bad cabbage.

We would like grass, too :(

And...I was pleased to meet so many Brian Enos Forumites! A nice bunch of guys, all...but where are the women? My wife competed...why didn't everyone else's wives/girlfriends/next door neighbors shoot? We need more females on the firing line...

Alex

you open guy's need to check out the scope I have been useing on my ar. 1.5x5 w/ the biggest field of view of any. 80 ft. @ 100 yd. You can see perfectly at 3 ft. or 300 yds. When everyone else is seeing one target I'm seeing 3.

I had a good time at the match, too.

Benny, don't tell them the scope cost less than $100 or everyone will want one.

I'll be playing with one soon. I'm not sure I like the diamond reticle like Matt has for long range stuff, but the FOV is awesome.

Great job on everyone involved with the match! If you get a chance to shoot this next year, make sure you go!

I am using that scope that Benny is recommending. He is the one that showed it to me. The coolest thing about it is the price, at $110 you can have another one mounted on a .22 and practice rifle with that. (thats what I do) Tell ya what, I shot about 5K .22 rifle off hand in the week and a half prior to the match. It helped ALOT.

Take care,